advertisement

Wilson Benesch turntable options

mrgrit

Hi everyone great to be on this forum. This is my first post, so please be kind if I have not followed the rules properly.

I currently own (and have from new) the original Wilson Benesch turntable (the so-called LP12 killer) with ACT One arm. It's getting on now and Wilson Benesch don't seem to have any technical knowledge or interest in it when I asked about servicing, etc.

It's an amazing sounding turntable, but it can be very finicky and a bit highly strung. It will sound great for weeks, then something will go out of whack and it will take me weeks to dial it back in.

I've been looking at possible replacements at around £4k (not including cartridge), but I'm wondering if turntables at that price won't cut it. The Wilson Benesch was £3k (plus cartridge) when new and with inflation, that would be £5 1/2k.

I was wondering if anyone here had moved on from the Wilson Benesch and if so, what to? Any suggestions for possibly less well known options?

I have a demo set up for next week featuring:

Technics SL-1200G
Acoustic Solid Wood MPX
Thorens TD1600 with TP160 arm
Nottingham Analogue (hoping for hyperspace, but not certain)
Pro-ject RPM 10 Carbon

I was considering an origin live calypso, but the dealer I'm going to doesn't stock Origin Live gear.

I've recently heard a Gyrodec (not keen) and SME model 12 (great, but out of my price range) when demoing other gear.

Should I be saving a considerable amount more? If so, what level should I be looking at?

The rest of my gear is:

AT-0C9XML
Icon Audio PS1 mk ii phono
Auralic Taurus pre (not the headphone version)
Chord 1200C Power
Ruark Crusader II speakers

Sorry for waffling on and many thanks

I’d skip the Project, maybe try a Rega P10?

Don’t come back in yourself perhaps narrow it down to 3-4 options?

If you liked the SME 12 look at the Model 6 Classic, I had the use of one for a day and then a Synergy for a day, preferred the 6.

Techy 1200G is a solid option, joy to use and sounds great.

Inspire Monarch 2.1 wth X200 Mk.3…9” or 12” tonearm …Direct Drive.

IMG-0667.jpg

Any of the above tonearms will be fabulous in second-hand versions…:cool:

SL1200G , Vertere DG1 , Project RPM9/RPM10 , Kuzma Stabi S , The Wand Turntable 14 & Roksan Xerxes 20 +

Emporium has a couple of Brinkmann Bardos at the moment at ~£4k (£8k rrp) one of them was mine. A superb DD deck, add an arm of your choice and you'd need silly money to better it. Only sold mine as it wasn't getting the use it deserved.

I would suggest something that will not lose its value in the event of future resale.

So:
Linn LP12;
Rega P10
Garrard 301/401
Thorens TD124

as second choice....
Michell Gyro/Orbe
Technics SL1200G
Well Tempered Amadeus/Versalex
Vertere DG1
some VPI.

The no hassle turntable has to be the Technics 1200G, but if that doesn't suit I'd look at the 2nd hand market for an Avid or TW Acoustic.

When you demo the 1200G I would ask the dealer to turn down the torque as per the stereophile review. I thought this made a worthwhile difference. It takes 5 seconds to make the adjustment.

I would like to thank everyone for their replies.

With the models I managed to test: Technics, Thorens, Kuzma, none of them got anywhere near the Wilson Benesch. I think I need to set my sights higher. I will see where I am in a few more months of saving.

I've also contacted Simon at Hifi Sound (thanks Darren) about having it serviced.

I'm not surprised, I guess the WB TT and tonearm if produced today would have a hefty five figure price tag.

I'm not surprised, I guess the WB TT and tonearm if produced today would have a hefty five figure price tag.
I went back and tried an AVID Volvere SP with origin live arm, at about £9000 including cartridge. It was much closer, but the Wilson Benesch was still better overall.

I went back and tried an AVID Volvere SP with origin live arm, at about £9000 including cartridge. It was much closer, but the Wilson Benesch was still better overall.
Yep, I'm not surprised though you don't mention if the cartridges are the same of if indeed your trial or demo was done at home within your own system, but you'll more than likely be well into a five figure sum to equal or better your WB imho, probably very worth while getting it serviced .
If you really must have a new record player I'd look at Thrax/Schroeder CB, Brinkmann, Thales to start with.
Of course there's many more to choose from including other models by Avid, SME, Reed, Dr.Feickert , and then of course there's the tonearm and cartridge choice to make.
It could be fun.

advertisement

Back