advertisement

Will be down sizing from my Xerxes but what to?

alanpaterson77@

pfm Member
Due to circumstances I will be down sizing my system quite drastically. I have been using a full Naim system (8 boxes) on 2 fraim stacks but will be moving this on. I also have a Roksan Xerxes 20+ with Ref PSU /Audio Origami PU7/Lyra Delos front end.
I'm going along the lines of something like the new Naim Atom all in one system to replace my electronics. Listening to vinyl is going to be an odd hour here and there so I can't justify keeping the current set up.
I love the sound of my Xerxes and was looking for ideas of something similar sounding but less expensive. Something that also looks good beside a modern, compact all in one like the Naim Atom would be good.

I went from an SME 20/3 to a Rega P8. I wasn't using the SME enough to justify keeping it.

The P8 is good for my occasional vinyl sessions, relatively cheap and low maintenance too. It uses my Lyra Titan and if your Delos is the same height you might need spacers (cheap). Good luck

I was thinking about a technics as what I have heard about the sound seems to be qualities that I am looking for. An upfront, fast and exciting sound is what I'm looking for. Also being of solid construction would be handy as living arrangements could change (hence the smaller system).

I was thinking about a technics as what I have heard about the sound seems to be qualities that I am looking for. An upfront, fast and exciting sound is what I'm looking for. Also being of solid construction would be handy as living arrangements could change (hence the smaller system).

They're superb decks. To be honest there wasn't a 'day and night' difference between that and my SP-10 mk.2 when I briefly owned both at the same time. Designed for 'proper hifi' use too, prior to it being taken up by the DJ crowd.
Great in stock form, and can be endlessly upgraded should the need to tinker ever strike again. Plus you'll be able to sell it on without any loss, they're holding their prices now.

Can't see what you'd gain financially (or in any other way) by disposing of your current front end and buying in an alternative, esp. new. Assuming your Xerxes/PU7/Delos is in fine fettle, of course.

I imagine your proposed amplification will include a phono stage, or are you keeping that?

Another vote for the Technics. Find a mint one, or if you don't want the faff of finding one that hasn't been damaged by a DJ or fiddled about with by an audiophile just grab the new 1200GR.

Due to circumstances I will be down sizing my system quite drastically. I have been using a full Naim system (8 boxes) on 2 fraim stacks but will be moving this on. I also have a Roksan Xerxes 20+ with Ref PSU /Audio Origami PU7/Lyra Delos front end.
I'm going along the lines of something like the new Naim Atom all in one system to replace my electronics. Listening to vinyl is going to be an odd hour here and there so I can't justify keeping the current set up.
I love the sound of my Xerxes and was looking for ideas of something similar sounding but less expensive. Something that also looks good beside a modern, compact all in one like the Naim Atom would be good.

I use a P1/carbon into Fono into UQ in a secondary setup

Speakers varies: nSat, Royd Sapphire, Kralk bc30, Rega bookshelfs etc

Sometime its quite stunning or satisfying and makes me wonder, I could easy live with this as main setup if I had to.

Can't see what you'd gain financially (or in any other way) by disposing of your current front end and buying in an alternative, esp. new. Assuming your Xerxes/PU7/Delos is in fine fettle, of course.

I imagine your proposed amplification will include a phono stage, or are you keeping that?

Hi Mike

I wouldn't necessarily be buying new. The set up I eventually get will get pretty limited use for various reasons but I would still like to be able to listen to my records when the fancy takes me and do like a certain presentation. Due to financial and domestic considerations I would rather part with the Xerxes.

I went from wondering whether or not to tip yet more money into LP12 upgrades to a WT Amadeus - no regrets. You need plenty of space, though. It has a large footprint. Saw a nice one at Audio Emotion for not much money recently.

Naim uniti atom with a Michell gyro would look & sound extremely good. Add a phono stage & speakers to taste & that would be a system many could happily live with.

I have Kudos Super 10s (not sure if they would need more power than the 40w from the atom) that I would like to use. The Michell is definitely a deck I have in mind if purely for the aesthetics. Firstly though are they not quite laid back sounding? I do know that they are supposed to offer a tremendous soundstage. Also are they not a little tricky to set up, especially if it may need to be moved occasionally?

Gyro is a superb tt. Not particularly awkward to set up & can be tuned to taste by arm & cart choices. The RP6 is clean & simple to look at & use & if other recent are as are anything to go by, could be a good choice. I'd still go for a gyro though.

If you like the sound of your Xerxes then I would wager that a lot of that is down to your arm and cartridge. Why not dump the turntable but keep the arm and cartridge and put in on another deck.

advertisement

Back