advertisement

Wild Garlic

Note of caution.. As far as I know Bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta (formerly Endymion non-scriptus or Scilla non-scripta) are not edible.. though I've found nothing saying they are actively toxic.

To what degree and what the effects are I do not know and have not Googled, but bluebells are toxic. About the only thing that can and does eat them are muntjac and this is one of the major reasons behind a push to eradicate muntjac. Some woodland that since for ever has been carpeted with bluebells, are now all but cleared due to grazing muntjac.
The last time that I checked, I recall that there was mention of fencing them out, but I think you will that find Wolves Wood near Hadleigh used to be carpeted but has been stripped bare of them.

P.S. I just Googled "bluebell toxins" and got 526,000 hits.

The wife of an acquaintance died of bluebell poisoning. It’s not excluded that she had a condition besides that, but it looks like its effects can be pretty nasty.

I never knew it was a thing until my wife spotted it, with great excitement, growing rampantly where we lived in Spain.
She consumed plenty of it, unfortunately I'm garlic intolerant so now't for me.

Between Randalstown & Antrim lies Shane's Castle Estate, bordered by the loch on one side and a wall & road on the other. There was US troops based there during the Second World War, they planted Garlic and over the years it has spread, during late spring and early summer you can smell it for miles when travelling along the road, I personally find it a pungent sickening smell, but I don't particularly like Garlic in food, I find it very overpowering even when only a little is used.

I find it very overpowering even when only a little is used.
It surely is, that’s why once in a year is enough. And by all means, keep it away from the freezer. To some extent, this wild garlic thing is also about the ritual of going to the woods and play hunter and gatherer.

Recipe. Blitz youngish wild Garlic allium leaves (and flowers) with walnuts and olive oil and pecorino or Parmesan. Season. Stick in Kilmer jars then top with more olive oil. Store in cool and dark

Use With pasta or gnocchi. Or stick spoonful in sauces, casseroles etc for extra depth.
This sounds really good. I've sent the receipt over to No2 daughter with a heavy hint that she should give it a try and send me a jar, though I fear I may be too late.

Note of caution.. As far as I know Bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta (formerly Endymion non-scriptus or Scilla non-scripta) are not edible.. though I've found nothing saying they are actively toxic.
I find that the flowers of Wild Garlic have a very subtle effect both in texture and flavour when sprinkled over your dish. The leaves are fab.. but blacken quickly.. the lower white stems are gorgeous.
I'm not aware it is protected anywhere. It grows freely quite high up around here in shady spots under trees.
Mull, thanks. I'll stop eating the bluebells.

There’s masses of wild garlic* in the woods at the back of our house, majorly strong from time to time, I actually don’t mind it, there are worse smells out there.

(* and bluebells!)

I like the smell, most notably riding on the Via Gellia (Cromford) - whether when on pushbike or motorbike. The smell of wild garlic takes me here first. Then to the banks of the river Manifold near Ilam Hall, loads if it.

Now and again the farmer plants Rapeseed in the field next to our house. The smell of that can make me gag almost, it permeates the whole house. The bright side is that the house is bathed in a dazzling yellow glow when the sun is out, and it looks surreal.

advertisement

Back