advertisement

Wiim Pro power supply upgrade

ajm

pfm Member
I'm currently trialling a Wiim Pro streamer as a digital transport.

I see that MCRU sell an upgraded power supply for this. Wondered if anyone has tried these power supplies or can recommend any other for the Wiim Pro?

Thanks

I have a pro plus and use an Ifi I power x that is a worthwhile improvement. I’d be interested to hear whether the extra cost for the mcru or indeed a temple audio supercharger is justified.

🤣🤣🤣That being said I can hear bats and think measurements are for audio engineers prototypes. My whole system is covered in snake oil…

Reactions: ajm
Do you have a power bank handy? Try that first.

I have one on the end of a WiiM Mini/Mojo2 combo as a bedroom/portable type system. Worked better than common garden USB charger.

I have a WiiM Mini, was using an uber cheap generic phone charger PSU, which was actually rated lower than the 1A the Mini specs say is required. "Invested" in a £20 Apple one (as by all accounts they put quite a bit of effort in to making them regulated and low noise). Made bugger all difference to the sound quality.

NB: Should note that I don't use the built in DAC in the Mini, I use it purely as a digital passthrough device. WiFi in, Optical out.

yes.. to my ears, getting rid of the switch mode psu's reduces glare and often makes them soud more relaxed.

For a streamer? Why would they?
The ’why’ is a good question but in my experience the power supplies to streamers can make a significant and audible improvement (and I’m talking about using a streamer with an external DAC, not an internal dac).

It is not just the likes of Wiim but also top end streamers such as Innuos Statement and Antipoded Oladra where the manufacturer has upgraded what was already a good internal power supply and the overall system sound got even better.

Of course one needs to hear for oneself and decide whether the financial investment is worth the SQ improvement.

I had a 5 volt Studer 900 power supply up in the loft and I now use it to power my Wiim Pro.

There certainly was not a big change in sound, but to my ears, it did sound more relaxed, not so bright and I felt like I had to turn the volume up a touch more.

A good outcome for zero outlay as far as I was concerned.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back