advertisement

WiFi network question

Derek Wright

pfm Member
I have several devices remote from the Ethernet cable network ie I cannot easily get an ethernet cable to this part of the house in an aesthetic manner. At the moment I use Powerline Adapters to connect these remote devices : the Sonos Connect, the Sky box to access the iPlayer type services and the TV.

However I would like to avoid the powerline adapters completely so I need a box that will receive the WiFi signal and then distribute it to the three devices.

I assume that I would have to connect the box to the ethernet cable to setup the SSID and password in the box so that it could connect to the network once in WiFi receiving mode.

So the question what type of device do I need to receive the WiFi signals and feed it to the various devices.

Thanks any suggestions.

I know you're trying to avoid the powerline units, but would one of them with WiFi extender capability and pass through (to keep the plug available) not work?

I do not think so - my motivation is driven by something I read about the emissions from the ring main when powerline adapters are used. The whole circuit becomes a huge transmitting aerial, see a thread in the Other Place on "Using home plugs" in the Naim Streaming Audio Room. The comments are quite worrying.

So I am trying to remove HomePlugs/Powerline adapters from the network and just rely on ethernet cable or Wifi.

My preferred option is to use a Wifi Extender with 4 ethernet sockets that can have the extension WiFi network disabled.

So at the moment I am looking through the Amazon specs that DV directed me to. In fact his biggest contribution was telling me the keyword for the device - extender.

Fair enough, only a suggestion. We just found that the broadband connection into our house comes in on the opposite side of the house to my study, where it's needed most. WiFi won't reach through a 70cm stone wall that separates the rooms, so I've had to revert to powerline adapters while we work out if we can rewire the phone connnection or run an Ethernet line to the study. I have a WiFi extender on one of the adapters to work with mobile phones, ipads, etc. and it seems to work. I hadn't taken into account the aerial aspect of the adapters.
Good luck with the search.

Thank you all

The Wifi to Internet adapter that the thebogbowski suggested plus a EThernet unmanaged switch:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00009015U/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

should allow me to achieve what I want as all the extra bits I need to connect to are together and more or less hidden behind the TV panel.

Re WiFI channel identification - I use WiFI Explorer to identify WiFi channel conflicts and availability.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I may be missing the point here or not understand your topology. I use a Sonos Zone player in the lounge. Digital to amp for music and Ethernet ports to Apple TV and Sky TV for streaming/catch up. No speed issues. Can you not just plug your devices into that? Or add a small switch if you need more ports?

Currently using Home Plus Power Line adapters to get the signal from the router in the study to the 3 entertainment devices in the lounge - I cannot see how to get an ethernet cable connection between the two rooms.

So I am looking at receiving the WiFi signal adjacent to the three devices and converting it via and Extender / Adapter to ethernet to connect to the three entertainment devices.

I installed "permanently on" WiFi to enable me to use the iPad to control the Sonos to stream iRadio and music from the computer. The WiFi use has spread now to also linking in two additional computers and iPhones plus support for any visiting hardware.

I talk out of my arse! Re-reading (again!) your post, simply connect your Sonos wirelessly to your Wifi and plug the hardwired devices to the two Ethernet ports on the back of the Sonos. Use a small Ethernet switch if you need more ports. I.e. the Sonos becomes your wireless extender.

Edit to add: when I first installed my Sonos many years ago, I looked at a wireless first jump but then bought a Sonos ZP for my office. I do recall seeing that you can do this, although Sonos to not push this approach, but I'm having trouble finding a reference. YYour searching may find a doc on how to set this up. The simpler way, although more expensive, would be to add a Sonos Bridge to your router and have that automatically connect wirelessly to your downstream Sonos component(s) and connect wired devices through them.

Reading the Sonos Bridge page it appears to need an ether net cable going into it to then WiFi the signal out to other Sonos products.

I want to go Wifi in and ethernet cable(s) out to the three entertainment devices hence me now considering what I said a few posts ago.

You can do that.

Router/Wifi -> cable -> Sonos Bridge (new) -> wireless -> Sonos ZP/Connect > cable -> Sky+/TV/etc.

AFIUI you have a) a router/wifi, presumably with a spare port and b) a Sonos Connect near your Sky/TV boxes. So Ethernet in/wifi out of the fist Sonos box and wifi in/Ethernet out of the second. This is how I run mine.

This will generate a second Wifi network in the house won't it?

If it works it will be cheaper than the two Netgear devices need to do some more digging

Thanks

Yes, but the second "mesh" that Sonos creates will not show up to laptops etc.. I presume there may be a way to find it/connect to it, but I've never looked.

advertisement

Back