advertisement

WiFi advice

ks.234

Half way to Infinity
I am thinking of ditching BT, but I like their extender discs that get wifi into my office workshop which is a converted garage on the side of the house.

Are other extenders/repeaters just as good? Or would I be better running a cable from the router to the garage?

Many thanks in advance.

Providing your garage and house share a fuse box, powerline plugs are an option (eg Devolo). One plugs in next to your router in the wall socket. The other plugs in the garage. Internet is broadcast through the mains. Seems to work well for me, a steady 100mbs which is my broadband speed.

Deco M5 here; plugged into our VM router in modem mode; the Deco kit has been absolutely faultless and we never have drops now like we did previously...

Another Deco Mesh user. I get top speed WiFi even at the bottom of my garden.

Pick whoever offers you the best value deal and then buy yourself a mesh WiFi pack and you'll have top speed WiFi everywhere in your house.

Sorted!

What are the relative merits of mesh v power line extenders/repeaters?

I think the mesh just gives you total coverage, transfer from the upstairs disc, to the front room disc to the shed disc is seamless.........its all one big happy wifi family, in places with extenders the transition can be 'lumpy' - however those with powerline extenders may swear by them, for example if you want a wired connection. However having said that the telly and fire cube are hardwired into my front room deco.

S

Poweline will pretty much only give you ethernet connectivity.
Extenders are usually a bit crap.
Mesh wifi is highly effective and is pretty much what you have with the BT 'discs'.
If BT dont want them back then you may well be able to still use them with whatever router you have next.
A Mesh wifi system will replace your router so you use the router you will get only to connect to the internet and the mesh comes after that.
TP Link are well regarded with mesh. They even do a combination of powerline and mesh together - I think they do an up to date (fast) one (Deco PX50) which is new and expensive and then they have an older system (that I am using now) which is the Deco P9. Not hugely fast but fast enough for us with iphones, pads and laptops etc.

Google tp-link and look for home mesh wifi to see their devices.
Edited for mis spelling

i've never found Power line that reliable. we found an extender a pain. In the end i ran a cable down the garden and installed an access point in my garage.

Dodgy electrics I would think as they are pretty reliable in the several homes I have used them in but each to their own and yes I agree running a cable is the best way if you want ethernet but dont see that as a solution for wifi.

Dodgy electrics I would think

no - unreliable here, in my bro and in my parents. Different brands different houses different locations........

running a cable to a WiFi access point is a solution for WiFi - it works very well here. 5 items using it in my garage - rock solid..... might not be your solution for Wifi but it is for me

The networks seem fairly forgiving, i run a powerline to 80m Cat6 with an old router on the end.

Works well for tenants to sit at home or anywhere in the world watching their horses and chickens here and it's good enough for them to work from the stables in summer.

mine might be early gen power lines - think i gave them away - or are they still in a drawer somewhere - got too much sh!te hanging around

no - unreliable here, in my bro and in my parents. Different brands different houses different locations........

running a cable to a WiFi access point is a solution for WiFi - it works very well here. 5 items using it in my garage - rock solid..... might not be your solution for Wifi but it is for me
Excuse my ignorance, but are you saying that I can run a Ethernet cable from my router in my lounge to, for example one of these, in my garage?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Excuse my ignorance, but are you saying that I can run a Ethernet cable from my router in my lounge to, for example one of these, in my garage?

yes - if you need. Mine runs from my kitchen to my garage

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Mesh systems are getting better and better. I've been surprised at how good the one I've cobbled together from some Asus AiMesh routers is and that's a channel down for wireless backhaul.

I'm sure you can find something better than the BT discs from the likes of Netgear or Asus.

advertisement

Back