advertisement

Why So Few DLNA Streaming Devices?

DimitryZ

pfm Member
Maybe 12 years ago many companies offered audio DLNA devices/bridges at various prices and level of sophistication. Today, most are a bit archaic and dont support hires.

Today, however, there are almost no standalone audiophile quality DLNA players. One I found and use is SMSL X3, which is about 5 year old design and retailed for $125. I bought my second new copy recently for $50. Here is a thorough review of what the guts of it are:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...wi-fi-lossless-streaming-media-player.642507/

I use it as a DLNA endpoint with BubbleUpnP with coax digital driving SMSL SU-8 DAC. It sounds really good, was easy to setup, is small and cute. It's happy with hires from Qobuz.

Why aren't there more modern products like this? One can buy a $50 cibblestone or IDER tiny box or one can invest thousands into proprietary streaming systems. Pi world is an alternative, but there should be more turnkey DLNA players available. Instead, we have hundreds of Bluetooth receivers...

Because it’s old and obsolete.
Seems to work extremely well, is inexpensive, does hires and is an open, free standard. There is nothing absolete about that.

And I can control the playback with my smartwatch as well...seems pretty modern to me.

Like many open platforms, most dlna implementations are shoddy and poorly supported. My experiences have been that the control apps are generally unsatisfactory.

If you want to control your music remotely LMS and Roon do much better.

How do your flac files sound when played?

I don’t think it truly does anything above 16/48 either

It works and sounds fine and it supports hi res as long as your hardware and software allow for that. It may be old but it is still relevant.

@DimitryZ There are lots and lots of different UPnP/DLNA-compatible hardware and software options out there, at prices ranging from a free to several thousand pounds. What are you looking for?

Most streamers/renderers DO have DNLA capabilities.
Why so few native DNLA streaming SERVICES?

Do you mean Internet services? I am pretty sure it is designed primarily (perhaps exclusively) for local streaming. I am sure that the networking bit could be dealt with using appropriate routing and/or tunnelling, but that would still leave issues related to copy protection, authentication etc for which there are already other robust solutions.

Yes, internet streaming services don't have good native support for DNLA (or any other non-proprietary protocol).

Most audiophiles who want to stream to their hifi in CD quality can't just simply use the native apps over Airplay or Bluetooth like their non-audiophile friends. Instead, they end up having to either pay for Roon (with the added complication of running "Roon core") or put up with clunky 3rd party apps (e.g. Bubble UnPnP as per the OP).

So my answer to the OP "why so few DNLA streaming devices" is that there are so few services to support them.

But most UPnP-compatible hardware and software also supports one or more Internet streaming services. What am I missing here?

But most UPnP-compatible hardware and software also supports one or more Internet streaming services. What am I missing here?

The OP's question/observation was why there are few "turnkey" UnPnP receivers these days compared to say, Bluetooth ones.

IMO, it's because it's because the Internet streaming services themselves don't support native UnPnP (with the exception of the patchy support in the Qobuz desktop app). You can't just go to the app/play store, sign up with any streaming service and start streaming from your tablet or phone direct to your hifi via UnPnP. However, you can do this via Bluetooth, Spotify connect or Airplay.

It's a shame because DNLA/UnPnP is open source, simple to use and sounds really good.

It works and sounds fine and it supports hi res as long as your hardware and software allow for that. It may be old but it is still relevant.

@DimitryZ There are lots and lots of different UPnP/DLNA-compatible hardware and software options out there, at prices ranging from a free to several thousand pounds. What are you looking for?
There are VERY few standalone DLNA players. Pretty much none that are made today that are not Pi/diy jobs.

BubbleUpnP is a decent control app and streams Qobuz just fine.

Only if you are lucky and hit the right combination of server SW, HW, and control app.
Thats the beauty od DLNA - it's an open standard. As soon as SMSL X3 was turned to network mode, BubbleUpnP recognized it as a DLNA renderer and began to stream to it.

Most streamers/renderers DO have DNLA capabilities.
Why so few native DNLA streaming SERVICES?
DLNA is built in into most audiophile streamers, from what I understand. However, these sre mostly large and very expensive devices that combine multiple functions and now seem more and more proprietary.

There are no simple DLNA audio renderers today, except for Pi/diy boxes.

The OP's question/observation was why there are few "turnkey" UnPnP receivers these days compared to say, Bluetooth ones.

IMO, it's because it's because the Internet streaming services themselves don't support native UnPnP (with the exception of the patchy support in the Qobuz desktop app). You can't just go to the app/play store, sign up with any streaming service and start streaming from your tablet or phone direct to your hifi via UnPnP. However, you can do this via Bluetooth, Spotify connect or Airplay.

It's a shame because DNLA/UnPnP is open source, simple to use and sounds really good.
Don't all of them simply restream to a renderer connected to the sound system from the original device? Certainly thats how DLNA and BT work.

Pretty much every DVD player, TV and AV amp has a UPnP/DNLA renderer built in. Most niche hi-fi companies, with the possible exception of Linn and later Naim, did not have the expertise to add an ethernet or wireless input to their DACs with the associated UPnP renderer and went the USB route instead, I guess because they could just buy in an XMOS board or equivalent. There were also issues in the early days with gapless playback,and there is still an absence of decent control points.

advertisement

Back