advertisement

Why no love for IMF?

Mike P

Trade: Pickwell Audio
Regulars on this forum will probably have already seen that I've been advertising my restored IMF RSPM IV speakers in the classifieds for a while.

I've not had a single enquiry, not even someone making a silly offer.

I'm genuinely surprised by this. The IMF RSPM IV is unquestionably one of the finest vintage loudspeakers from the 1970's.

People are willing to spend a fortune on big Tannoys and LS3/5a's at the moment yet nobody seems interested in the IMF's.

Out of curiousity I just looked up some new prices from 1978 and Chartwell LS3/5a's were £165, Ditton 66's were £480 and the IMF RSPM was an eye watering £927!

The IMF RSPM IV are physically massive speakers which is undoubtedly going to make them unsuitable for some homes but then again so are big Tannoys.

I'm like you, surprised at no offers.
I've always admired IMF from afar.
Once heard a pair in a friend's house, but they weren't my
'cup of tea' I have to say.
Having said that, they were popular with many and got good reviews.
Let's hope yours will appeal to someone...

I'm sorry to hear that. I'd at least shown some interest if I was in the market. Big speakers are good. Big TLs are great. The work you've done looks great too. You will be able to get replacement B139s soon. I'm almost talking myself into buying them! Plus I lived near High Wycombe.

They were a speaker to aspire to back in the 1970's but they are large and that may be the main issue today. I wasn't looking for new speakers but yours tempted me.

I'm also surprised that there have been no enquiries. As I mentioned earlier they provided one of my most dramatic experience at a HiFi show.

Perhaps transmission line speakers are out of fashion these days. I always fancied a pair of Leak 2075's back in the day.

Mike

All I can say is be patient. I'm sure size is a factor and I think memories of IMF have faded more quickly than some other speakers from the same period. Nevertheless, someone will do their homework and go holycow! and you'll have your sale. I remember being very impressed the couple times I heard them. Their bass output was very impressive for the time in both amount and quality. Heard a pair of PMC MB2S recently that brought back memories of that sound only more so!

If I didn't already have TDL Reference Standards I would have snapped them up. I think Ebay is the best place to achieve a good price.

Thanks for the words of encouragement folks.

In my haste I've already knocked £100 off what I need to get back from to break even, hopefully that'll tip the balance for someone.

I too would love to hear some Leak 2075's. A friend of mine had some smaller Leak speakers (but still large by most standards) and I always like them. He gave them away and stupidly I turned them down in favour of something more modern speakers.

I'd like to take the opportunity at this point to say that the reason I'm selling them is that I've already got another set of equally superb and massive transmission line speakers which I thought would be even harder to sell. Whilst I'd love to keep both set my 'better half' is understandably not too keen on that idea. One pair has to go and I thought that the IMF's would be easier to sell.

My room is just not big enough for huge TLs. An old friend built a pair from a magazien project back in the 70s and as far I know still uses them.

I had a pair of TDL Studio 1 for many years and loved 'em. But now switched to my Gale 401A having been restored 3 years ago. All my speakers have been Acoustic Suspension or TL - i just do not get on with conventional ported speakers.

There's plenty of love for IMF out there! As has been suggested by a previous poster, ebay is probably your best bet. They don't seem to be mentioned much on PFM.

I lusted after the TLS50s back in the day, but only managed to get a pair of ALS40s past her indoors. They gave me 25 years of excellent service though. I'd love to hear them again.

Great, great speaker! Oodles of bass coming out of the B139/TL combo. Soundwise on par with Cambridge Audio TL200's, but probably better up to the bigger amps of the era.

Following the helpful advice here I've now listed them on ebay.

They've been listed at a slightly higher price to cover the fees but any PFM members can still have them for £1400 cash.

Wish me luck!

Post a link :)

I think the issue is also one on investment value - generally I only buy kit that I know I can resell and recover my investment. That would be easier with a set of Tannoys or Rogers than IMFs.

Richard

I must be the only guy in the universe regretting the purchase of a pair of Tannoy DC10ts, as now I don't have the funds left for the IMFs.. such is life.. oh and the small detail of going to collect them.. double bu**er..

I think the issue is also one on investment value - generally I only buy kit that I know I can resell and recover my investment. That would be easier with a set of Tannoys or Rogers than IMFs.

Richard
I would hope that IMFs are now flat-lined on price, whatever the market values them at and long past depreciation.

Given how long ago they were made, an IMF fan is likely to be in their 60s, so thinking about downsizing to a retirement home.
Tannoys are a special case, because the company still exists with the same ideals, attracting younger fans like Tony L. Being pushed constantly by HiFi World doesn't do any harm either, so values can rise.

I'm close to 60 too and love my big TDLs, but I never heard IMFs as they were already gone before I started with decent audio

advertisement

Back