advertisement

Why ..... is it true

If they were first used cold out of the box it could be the air pressure in the cabinet stabilising with the air in the room and allowing the drivers to move freely in both directions. This was explained to me by Derek Gilligan of Neat/Kudos some time ago when I bumped into him in Hifi Sound a few years ago, a lot better than I have here mind.....

I forgot to mention they had rubber feet on already. granted they were shallower about 3mm x 10mm and the new ones 10mm x 22mm

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=261734020648

Ah.

From recent personal experience of listening to unfamiliar systems (fellow pfmers systems - Tannoy and homemade speakers - that are rather different to my own) I really believe that listener burn-in/acclimatisation is a significant contributor to major perceived changes in a system sound. In both case the systems sounded "wrong" on first listen, but became righter over hours of listening (albeit the second system was only listened to for a couple of hours).

It's probably a more marked phenomenon if the system is listened to on and off over a few days - the brain quite likely unconsciously does some acclimatisation between sessions.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If they were first used cold out of the box it could be the air pressure in the cabinet stabilising with the air in the room and allowing the drivers to move freely in both directions. This was explained to me by Derek Gilligan of Neat/Kudos some time ago when I bumped into him in Hifi Sound a few years ago, a lot better than I have here mind.....
No, it couldn't. Not unless they have been stored in a vacuum, or halfway up the Himalayas, or somewhere else exotic. I'm afraid that this is just a bit of hifi mysticism.

I really believe that listener burn-in/acclimatisation is a significant contributor to major perceived changes in a system sound. In both case the systems sounded "wrong" on first listen, but became righter over hours

That is correct.

At a basic level this happens with the rooms/acoustics we are in. When entering a room for the very first time the auditory system spends some seconds/minutes mapping it out, in order to enhance intelligibility of the spoken word. It is curious how this calibration then also works in places in the room not previously occupied by speaker or listener. Also interesting how long such calibrations remain valid. Often months to years! But they do fade ...
(Stuff like this is in Toole's book, IIRC.)

When I enter an alien room with an alien system playing alien music it sounds like one big mono racket at first, slowly transforming into sound-staged music over a couple of hours.

When someone listens to my system for the first time I don't even ask how (s)he likes it. It would be pointless.

I think you answered your own question:
"The only thing I've added this evening is some new rubber feet beneath the speakers."

While my room was being redecorated I had my speakers on their flat metal feet (so I could move them around) and the sound was OK but nothing special.
The moment the room was done I replaced the metal spikes on the speakers and a HUGE improvement - almost like a new system..

So your new rubber feet may be similar to the previous ones, but may have whole different characteristics - take them off - try some spikes (or even blu-tac if they're on stands).

I get the impression that the system has been in place for a while, so I would suggest that the change in the sound is most likely due to addition of the new feet, unless there has been some other change in the system.

It could be the new feet themselves, or maybe the position of the speakers changed slightly after the new feet were fitted. Maybe they were put back on the shelf at a slightly different angle or perhaps at a slightly different distance from the wall.

Actually I think the speakers at least are very much new-to-him so I doubt the OP has great familiarity with the system though.

The more I lsten to people here the more convinced I am that the changes happen between listeners' ears and they then attribute perceived changes to the latest change.

... or maybe the position of the speakers changed slightly after the new feet were fitted. Maybe they were put back on the shelf at a slightly different angle or perhaps at a slightly different distance from the wall.

Good point. Or the listening position might have changed coincidentally.

The clock is reset and raj will probably be on valves in about 3 months, then I expect Devialet at which point there will be a glow of light and lotus flowers everywhere, my doctors saw this coming and have me on 1000mgs of anti-lotus-flowerzapam. If anyone offers you enlightenment just tell them to go away, enlightenment does not include cool toys and ponies.

If you are sharing your naked listening with friends in their homes then I'm told it's good manners to bring a clean towel on which to sit.

The clock is reset and raj will probably be on valves in about 3 months, then I expect Devialet at which point there will be a glow of light and lotus flowers everywhere, my doctors saw this coming and have me on 1000mgs of anti-lotus-flowerzapam. If anyone offers you enlightenment just tell them to go away, enlightenment does not include cool toys and ponies.

I doubt that it'll ever be valves ;) ...

On many levels, I don't know where I'll be in a few month time to be honest. Lifes curve balls are being dealt once again! But I'd love some flowerzpam right now..

advertisement

Back