advertisement

Why headphones rule

Not sure if this is what you have in mind but the beeb has been doing binaural proms recordings for the last couple of years . see here for last year's
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2913JxRtQl3ZTvw0wz5C4D1/bbc-proms-in-binaural-sound
this year's are here I think
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06drb3s
Thanks, that's exactly what I had in mind. I think it must have been some of the early (first?) examples I remember way back. The term "binaurel" had completely slipped my mind but I knew "Blumlein", "dummy-head" and "coincident pairs" came into it somewhere!

If you crave good bass try headphones by Audeze. You would need a headamp though and deep pockets.
I’ve pretty much given up 2channel now in favour of headphones.

The Creator's edition Audeze 'phones are a little cheaper and fitted with a more comfortable headstrap (but no butch looking carry case). I recently tried a pair of the re-issued LCD-2Classic for a couple of weeks, reasonable price and very nice, slightly warm sound with plenty of good bass and lighter than original LCD-2.

Love being able to listen at realistic levels anywhere (mostly) without disturbing the whole house. In my case the stereo system is in its own room in the basement. With the headphone system I can listen in the main living room and not be totally cut off from the family.

Focal_Clear.jpg

Surface Pro, iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, Focal Clear

I love my T1/Crack combo for watching films after everyone's gone to bed - you really get the most amazing soundtracks that you'd miss on any other setup.

I am reclining with my Stax and (short of spending super-serious cash) I can’t really imagine headphone listening getting much better than this. Best I don’t listen to a BHSE or (heaven forbid) a T2-based setup!!!

It's a tough call on good phones vs speakers. My Stax headphones are very satisfying and eliminate the somewhat nasty room interactions, however switching to the Zu's with their 10" driver gives a visceral element that the Stax can't match. Perhaps the poster that suggested a sub + open cans has a point?

I did use to enjoy the stereo effect that you get from headphones. But now with the ATC`s in a treated room, I do get the stereo effect that is now better than headphones. Room treatment is a must do, otherwise a lot of spatial clues are lost.

Well there is bass & then there is bass from a big organ which many speakers & no headphones which I have used will get near. I have a recording of Holst's "The Planets" which has some really deep bass at the end of track 5, "Saturn". It only lasts for about 20 seconds & is barely audible on my Spendor A5Rs whereas my ProAc D20Rs do a decent job, but my Castle sub-woofer (with standpoint ProAc Tablette Anniversary speakers) reproduces the true sound of a big organ where you feel it as much as you hear it. My A5Rs & D20Rs produce decent bass from all my other recordings. My B&W P9 headphones have been reviewed by some as a bit bass heavy whereas I think they are about on par with my D20Rs.
To consider bass to be a single item is incorrect, but in any event I prefer listening to speakers whilst accepting headphones have their good points & are the only option in some situations.

The downside of headphones is that you listen much louder, at levels that will wreck your hearing in time.

The downside of headphones is that you listen much louder, at levels that will wreck your hearing in time.

There is this caveat, of course, but I believe it's also distortion which can damage hearing. I'm a fair bit Mutt & Jeff anyway, and do like to be 'immersed' by either the music I'm playing or the TV prog. I'm watching. However, I guess that listening on good kit and cans at home still has to beat going to an over-loud and distorted gig (not that I've experienced any gig for many decades !).

My personal rule with headphones is never to drown out background noise completely. Not scientific but it helps me to keep volume in check.

like all dangers...if you have no personal sense of safety, heed the cautious advice.
As to subs, just employ a small child to aim a fan at your trouser legs, and thump you with a padded stick in time with the beat. Perfik! :)

My personal rule with headphones is never to drown out background noise completely. Not scientific but it helps me to keep volume in check.

You hit a chord there (!) inasmuch as I can still hear my wife, sitting at the other end of a 7' sofa, speak into my duff ear with 650s on. Need to take them off to achieve comprehension, though this does depend upon the music playing and who wins the battle between music and speech !:)

You hit a chord there (!) inasmuch as I can still hear my wife, sitting at the other end of a 7' sofa, speak into my duff ear with 650s on. Need to take them off to achieve comprehension, though this does depend upon the music playing and who wins the battle between music and speech !:)
Erm, you do know she’s reading this thread dpn’t you?

advertisement

Back