advertisement

Why does the flatcap makes my xs sound like crap??

Are you taking the signal to the power amp from the flatcap or the preamp? I found that (inadvertently) taking the signal from my 102 (instead of from the flatcap) was detrimental - something to do with signal grounding, I believe.

I do not know what you mean? The flatcapXS can only connect to the preamp of the NaitXS right?

Having owned a Flatcap 2X with a Nait XS for last 3 years i can assure you it makes a bloody huge difference, and so does a Powerline. What is your source, could be it is just making your amp more transparent and you like less what is upstream. Also, as Mark says, if the flatcap needs a service then it will sound worse than without it. What version of Flatcap is it? Lastly get yourself a Naim or Flashback Snaic before making any conclusions.

Its not the source, i tried two different dacs. Both sound wonderfull without the flatcap. With the flatcap my car stereo sounds way better. witch makes me believe that i am doing something wrong, but i do not know what.

I did a demo at the store with a different system and in that system the flatap was a hugh improvent. They did not allow a home demo and that is reason why i baught the flatcapxs second hand.

I have a flatcap2 for my stageline, seems ok to me. I once had a hicap on a nait XS and a supernait. I always prefered them without the hicap.

I do not know what you mean? The flatcapXS can only connect to the preamp of the NaitXS right?

Ah, I missed the bit about the NaitXS...... my 102 has two outputs and I had the SNAIC5 correctly connected to my Flatcap, but mistakenly connected the power amp's SNAIC4 to the other OP on the 102.

Sounded distinctly "off" until I unplugged the SNAIC4 and re-connected it to where it should go, i.e. the Flatcap.

Its not the source, i tried two different dacs. Both sound wonderfull without the flatcap. With the flatcap my car stereo sounds way better. witch makes me believe that i am doing something wrong, but i do not know what.

I did a demo at the store with a different system and in that system the flatap was a hugh improvent. They did not allow a home demo and that is reason why i baught the flatcapxs second hand.

Then i suggest you obtain a proper Snaic as i replied.

i power the pre on my xs using a Y cable from flashback so the signal does not go through the PSU (Avondale tpx2), sounds much better this way when compared to the naim method when i had a hicap....

i power the pre on my xs using a Y cable from flashback so the signal does not go through the PSU (Avondale tpx2), sounds much better this way when compared to the naim method when i had a hicap....

The Y cable idea is maybe (I do say maybe) not such a good idea with a Naim PSU
The Naim star -ve system is important & although the FC has more fresh air than parts in the box, its still relevant. As in all Naims the -ve's from the many individual regulator & other PSU circuits & those from the amps pre & pwr sections join inside the PSU at one single star point.
With a Y cable the pre & pwr -ve join at the Y junction & then link to the PSU -ve's & join them at a separate place inside the PSU. This is no longer a true single point star earth & my reason for not such a good idea.

Not so sure about Avondale, but as this is were the Y cable concept started, I guess its correctly done - maybe those who know Avondale can advise
Teddy TC-III has only one -ve wire fro the TeddyReg PCB so the star point can be moved easily without affecting the single star point theory.
With the stnd Naim 2x SNAIC wired configuration, the one regulator -ve & the amp pre & pwr sections -ve's join at the TC internal DIN socket link wire & this is the star point.
With a Y cable set up the single one star point will be moved to the Y junction

Open it up and see if there are any bits missing.
flatcap76xi.jpg
I am in the wrong business. How much do they charge for that one again?

Isn't it gorgeous? The business model, I mean. :D

I found the PS in a 160 to be better than a SNAPS, maybe it's the same here?

Lot of truth here.
I found a Flatcap was no better than the 160 power supply. In fact the Flatcap was the most disappointing bit of Naim kit I ever bought. A Hicap was a bit better but I found Avondale power supplies to be in a different league.
I'm delighted to have left all that stuff behind!

Simon

advertisement

Back