advertisement

Why does my system always sound too good?

Minio

Kind of Sort of Not really...
In the last couple of days I've tried 3 different amplifiers only to find that they all sound pretty good.

I'm not sure how to go about getting my system to sound really crap.

OK. One might be not so good with piano but great overall presentation. Another sounds meaty and powerful but lacks a tiny smidgen of subtlety.
The other is great but it's cosy warmth perhaps a little obvious.

Lord knows which is the right one.

It's a frustrating hobby this.

Live with each amp for a few weeks and then decide, this way factors like mood, mains and even health issues get smoothed out. If after all that you have no clear preference then go for the best looking or cheapest one... Just a thought for you to consider.

PS: you seem very happy so don't let the hifi upset you...too many choices in life are the root of some unhappiness, especially if there is no clearly easy choice.... applies to almost anything.

Very grateful for all the helpful replies.

None the wiser though;

there are just too many good things. And I ve only just had half a glass of Coca Cola.

How about tri-amping or active to get the flavour of each? It might jut be the dog's dinner you're looking for.:D

Have you tried MQA?
Yes I dig that "music can be ‘folded’ and delivered in the most efficient and sustainable way"
but that might be too good to be true which is sort of my basic problem.

In the last couple of days I've tried 3 different amplifiers only to find that they all sound pretty good.
There is a strategy to choosing an amplifier. I've just revisited amplifier choice, as you are doing. There is a truism that you have to live with and listen casually to each amp alone for some time, and the best choice will reveal itself. For me it was, as you experienced, a tough call to make in the shorter term listening, but a very obvious choice when I stopped fretting and listened to music for a week or so on each amplifier.

As in many things we are spoilt for choice these days.

I remember, years ago, it being hard to find an amp that I liked.

But all things were and are not equal. Finding a good quality source at an affordable price was part of the conundrum.

Digital has made things a little more consistent.
And amplifiers have had time to mature and many reviews can be gathered making it now harder to actually find a bad 'un.

There are many good ones at pretty reasonable prices.

I've actually enjoyed trying the different approaches to the sonic design of amps. They all have notable strengths that can effectively outshine any weaknesses.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back