advertisement

Why do you need 2 turntables?

sazalirazak

pfm Member
I see that a number of pfmers have 2 turntables within the same hifi system
is there any reason why you need 2?

Help me here guys im trying to give a good reason to Mrs Razak why I'm buying a 2nd tt..;)

One for best, and one to test s/h vinyl, and if just listening in background (so saving wear on the main TT/cart).

if anyone can come up with a reason for two turntables that will convince your wife it is a good idea i will eat my one turntable . :D

One with a mono cartridge, one with a stereo?

One for 45s, one for LPs?

One for 78s, one for microgroove records?

One with a cartridge that's preferred for classical music, one for a cartridge with a balance for rock?

etc
etc

One with a good basic cartridge for blasting out Techno and D&B 12" singles. One with a fancy cartridge for playing music that has detail to retrieve. Given that an SL1210 can be had for less than the cost of most mid-market MC carts and (unlike the cart) won't wear out in my lifetime, it seemed like a no brainer to me.

Also. For fun.

I have 5 x turntables:

In the office upstairs:

LP12/Sole sub-chassis/Hercules PSU/Origami modified 250/DV20XL

In the main system:

LP12/Cirkus/Norton AirPower/Naim Aro/Naim pre-fix/XX2MkII
Lenco 88/Hybrid Slate-Aluminium plinth/Audiomods/metal bodied Denon 103
Michel Hydraulic Reference/Modified GH228 with XTC counterweight/Linn Troika
Stanton ST.150/Ortofon Nightclub Pro.

Now here’s where I try to justify them:

The LP12/Norton only runs at 33.3rpm, so hence the Lenco that runs from 16-78rpm, with an arm cartridge combination that’s good enough to bring out the best in my 12” 45 collection. All I want now is something to play my collection of 7” singles that won’t highlight too much of the surface inperfections. Ah yes! That would explain why I bought the Direct Drive TT with a spherical stylus!

So what about the Michell? I can’t easily justify that TBH, I owned it a long time ago and had the opportunity to buy it back for £100 and I couldn’t resist. It’s had a complete overhaul, a couple of tweaks and it looks nice. Not only that, but I needed a reason to get one of my beloved Linn Troikas out!

The system upstairs in a recently vacated box room has been a revelation TBH; I’ll most likely post it up at some point. I had one too many record players for the rack, and my current active Kans project left me with a spare pair of Mk1’s:

Naim NAC22/ZAP120
Nakamichi 600
Squeezebox Duet
Maplin DAC
Radio & CDs played on my Toshiba Laptop through the DAC
Linn Kan Mk1 on Sound Organisation brackets.

The other point is that if I don’t mount the various turntable projects on the hi-fi racks, I have nowhere else to put them!

I have a cunning plan too that enables me to run all the turntables through the pre-amp, without having to unplug one to plug in another.

One t/t and two arms takes up less room. Also means (all things being equal) that you can improve on the t/t, unless you're a collector.

I have.

3 LP12's in various specs - one heavilly modified

2 Voyd Valdi's of various specs - one heavily modified.

One Voyd "The Voyd Turntable" 3 motors utterly sublime

Rega Planar 25 modified.

2 x Technics SL150's , one heavilly modified.

Pioneer PL71 completely standard.

Goldring Lenco GL75, heavily modified.

I think that's it? They're all armed up with MC's and each has its merits.

It's been a wonderful, enjoyable, fulfilling educational journey = one happy chappy.

I have a dozen or more, no reason just like TT's. As I explain to my wife, my hi-fi bits are my equivalent to ornaments which on occasion do stuff.

I have 5 x turntables:

In the office upstairs:

In the main system:

LP12/Cirkus/Norton AirPower/Naim Aro/Naim pre-fix/XX2MkII
Lenco 88/Hybrid Slate-Aluminium plinth/Audiomods/metal bodied Denon 103
Michel Hydraulic Reference/Modified GH228 with XTC counterweight/Linn Troika
Stanton ST.150/Ortofon Nightclub Pro.

Now here’s where I try to justify them:

The LP12/Norton only runs at 33.3rpm, so hence the Lenco that runs from 16-78rpm, with an arm cartridge combination that’s good enough to bring out the best in my 12” 45 collection. All I want now is something to play my collection of 7” singles that won’t highlight too much of the surface inperfections. Ah yes! That would explain why I bought the Direct Drive TT with a spherical stylus!

So what about the Michell? I can’t easily justify that TBH, I owned it a long time ago and had the opportunity to buy it back for £100 and I couldn’t resist. It’s had a complete overhaul, a couple of tweaks and it looks nice. Not only that, but I needed a reason to get one of my beloved Linn Troikas out!

The system upstairs in a recently vacated box room has been a revelation TBH; I’ll most likely post it up at some point. I had one too many record players for the rack, and my current active Kans project left me with a spare pair of Mk1’s:

Naim NAC22/ZAP120
Nakamichi 600
Squeezebox Duet
Maplin DAC
Radio & CDs played on my Toshiba Laptop through the DAC
Linn Kan Mk1 on Sound Organisation brackets.

The other point is that if I don’t mount the various turntable projects on the hi-fi racks, I have nowhere else to put them!

I have a cunning plan too that enables me to run all the turntables through the pre-amp, without having to unplug one to plug in another.

Wylton, your active Kan quote attracted my attention! My office (2.5mx3.5m) system comprises a set of SL2's with Qute/Nap160, which sounds stupidly good. A long time back however, the same room housed an LP12/82/Hi/250 and Kans on Sound Org brackets. To this day i'm not sure any of my current other Naim set ups have been as good as the Kan one. Considering i still have my mk1 Kans and brackets in storage i am sorely tempted to set them up again, but have always fancied trying active Kans with 2x160's…… would love some more feedback re your active Kan setup.

Cheers,
Gary.

...would love some more feedback re your active Kan setup...

Hi Gary,

It’s been a long road! I started on the active Kans system several months ago, but then it all got caught up in major house renovation.

I was using the Mk1s on the end of a Naim 102/250 system; I’d added a pre-fix to the LP12 and built an Avondale Multicap 2 (4 x TPX boards), the equivalent of two x Hi-Caps. The system just sounded so good that I started to wonder if I could get any more out of it by going active. I looked at the Neil McBride page and he suggested Mk2 Kans, because they are bi-wirable, so half the work is done. I found a pair at a reasonable price and simply removed the bass units, took out the crossover and removed all the components from the PCB. Then I reconfigured the wires from the drive units using the old crossover PCB s a convenient hook up point.

I bought an old single rail NAXO from a pfm member and built a second Multicap, this one configured as a Hi-Cap/SNAPS/NAPSC all in a single box. I’m using the NAP250 for the treble and I built a ZAP250 for the bass in an up-down configuration.

I started to hook it up before Xmas, but found that I was two cables short, so I had to wait for the new cables to arrive and then I found that the cable from the pre-fix was too short to reach the power supply! I’ve got all the bits now and have spent the afternoon setting it all up, but hunger and thirst have taken over, so I’m taking a break until the morning!

Meanwhile, the Mk1’s in the office on the end of a NAC22/ZAP120 (it was a NAP120, but now it has some 250 NAPA boards that Les W modified and one of his NAP110 PSU boards). It sounds so good, that the active Kans have really got something to live up to!

Must have that cup of tea that I promised myself before I saw your post...

Sounds like a great project Wylton. Please report back when you have it up and running. There is some great synergy with those chrome bumper amps and Kans, which is why i fancy getting my 160 back on them at some point.

Cheers,
Gary.

advertisement

Back