advertisement

Why delete price from sold items?

klingklang

pfm Member
This may seem like a trivial question regarding something that is practised widely on PFM, but it's one that's been nagging me for a while. Can anyone explain why sellers immediately delete the price of an item in their listing as soon as it is sold?

Thanks.

I should have said some sellers.

I agree it's irritating and unhelpful. Is there any rationale for doing it at all?

Trouble is that it was the offer price, not the final transaction.
When you see an item for sale, the price is maybe too high as it hasn't been sold yet

Never given it much thought, when I sell something, I replace the price with SOLD.

Maybe I'll leave the price in future if it helps others.

I do find sellers are very helpful if you PM them and ask them the actual price received if you are selling something similar.

I always try and have a fair and realistic price and get the damn things sold quickly. The most realistic price is the price the last one sold for.

SJB

Ebay sold listings gives price.

Yup, this is a good market guide. Private transactions on PFM have no requirement to provide market data to a wider audience. I too am curious to see what the likely sale price was but strictly speaking it's none of my business and as someone has said, you have no idea what price was agreed on via PM negotiation. If you'd wanted to buy, you should have made an offer! (advice I frequently give myself).

I always change mine to sold and delete the price once payment is made. I just thought it saves other buyers reading a load of text and piccies only to get to the bottom and find it's not available...

Sometimes an almost outrageous lowball price gets advertised, and funnily enough gets sold, but this should dictate how other units should be priced. Deleting sold prices is a courtesy, the used 'high end' HiFi market at the moment is incredibly good, and beneficial for buyers, but not for sellers and the industry. The market is already driving down, so it's good to be able to preserve some residual value, which is where I think deleting prices comes in - at least people have to do a bit more research.

Interesting comments. I must admit I have done the same in the past without really thinking about it. I agree that it can be misleading especially of the sold price is way off the asking. I thought eBay 'make offer' sales just showed the asking price crossed out with 'best offer accepted'.

I always change mine to sold and delete the price once payment is made. I just thought it saves other buyers reading a load of text and piccies only to get to the bottom and find it's not available...

Theres no "load of text" just edit and add the word "sold"?

I've also found it mildly irritating in the past, partly because I can't see a convincing rationale for deletion. It's almost as though that directly something has been sold, the asking price becomes a clandestine item of info.

Sometimes an almost outrageous lowball price gets advertised, and funnily enough gets sold, but this should dictate how other units should be priced. Deleting sold prices is a courtesy, the used 'high end' HiFi market at the moment is incredibly good, and beneficial for buyers, but not for sellers and the industry. The market is already driving down, so it's good to be able to preserve some residual value, which is where I think deleting prices comes in - at least people have to do a bit more research.

You do get the speculative chiseler and weird people trying to punt a weird swap but they're in the minority( no skin off their nose/nothing ventured-nothing gained/ teh Internet's free type of thing). It's like they're humping the back of your knee while you're trying to have a sensible conversation.
I always try to respond with courtesy to these folks- you never know, they might want to buy something from you in future...or not.

Interesting comments. I must admit I have done the same in the past without really thinking about it. I agree that it can be misleading especially of the sold price is way off the asking. I thought eBay 'make offer' sales just showed the asking price crossed out with 'best offer accepted'.

If you are logged in to EBay do a search for the item you are interested in and when the results appear click on the Advanced search option. This will bring another page with a Completed Listings tick box. Tick that and search and completed listings with sale price will be returned. You can sort this in price order to get an idea of the range and average sale price. Items which did not sell have the price in red.

It's down to each website how they prefer these things to be. I'm on one photography website where every part of the deal has to be in the thread and PMs are only allowed to exchange financial details after the sale is agreed. They also stipulate that the price should be left on, and this is widely practiced, but it's the only one I'm on who insist this is done in public.

It doesn't bother me, although I'm not sure why folks do it.

The advertised price is probably not what it sold for anyway...

advertisement

Back