advertisement

Why are headphones not as good!

I had a pair of HD800's into a Weiss DAC202, firewired into a Mac, and the sound was good, huge detail, and great soundstage! I had a pair of Adam Audio active speakers, and while they gave a much bigger scale and soundstage, the £12,500 difference was not worth paying over the HD800's.

I only have a budget head-phone system. I probably use them once every 3 months. At the moment I have a pair of HD650's into an M-Dac. Its okay.

It doesnt have the airiness/openess and soundstage that I really enjoy from my main system. Although headphones are very transparent and pick up a lot of Micro Detail.

have you tried your HD650 with a good valve headphone amp or SS like a graham slee

i use HD650 or AKG701 + £250 valve headphone/dac can show up a £10k+ system easy

Also use very hiend headphones £2k + 300b monos as head phone amp get a sound near or better than a £100k + speaker based system

i have full range horns with active bass and love them , But headphones great late at night for music or films & you only hear the detail Not the room acoustics

as phones are truly full-range with built in supertweeters 10hz-100khz + Even recordings i know like the back of my hand reveal subtle details never heard on speakers

What 250 Valve Head/dac do you use? Would be interested in getting one to try out.

My main system at the moment is. Mac Mini - Weiss 202 - Hypex Ncore monos - Troel Gravensen Jenzen Accuton Diamond speakers. Best Hi-Fi I have ever had really and spent under 10k altogether!

Problem is... I have never heard a valve amp so would be really interested in giving it a shot on my headphones for a small investment.

EF-99 Dared www.daredtube.com
can,t load photos how do you put attachments on PFM
2box valve headphone/usb dac/pre/ 1wpc amp/ipod/bluetooth
use it as i type this on my desktop with HD650s or with anthony gallo a diva ti speakers
its very small & it looks sooooo cute

big headphone rig is H2+ from taket www.taket.jp it is a insult to call these headphones more like earspeakers known in japan as the king of headphones - totally stunning
driven with matching TR2+ stepup transformer via 300b monoblocks

advertisement

Back