advertisement

Who still uses a cassette deck

Plinius

I have noticed that cassette decks are becoming popular again, who still has one or is buying them again.
I must admit that I have been, 3 Nakamichi's 600,LX3, BX150 so far. I still have around 70 TDK SA & Maxell UDXL2 unused tapes.
Just curious.....

I have four: 2 x Tandberg TCD-310 (a Mk I and a Mk II), a Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2, and a newly refurbished Nakamichi RX-505. Oh, and right at 100 unused type-II (mostly TDK SA-90 and Maxell UDXL-II 90) and type-IV blanks.

Bring on the analog apocalypse - I'm ready.

The wheels on the tape go 'round and 'round...

I use them daily. Nakamichi CR-7,682ZX,680ZX,660ZX,BX-300,482Z and Tandberg TCD-3034. Also two Akai GX-77 R2R's and Revox A77.

Good to hear, down here in New Zealand we don't get the selection you have in the larger markets but gems do turn up. I'm telling myself that all I need now is a mint 1000mk11 & a Pioneer RT707 and I can stop:rolleyes:
When I record an LP then play it back it sounds like the LP:)
It is not offensive to the ear.
No metalic top end.
No remastering.
I don't know why anyone would bother:D:D
Nice selection df_genius
casperhauser you have the only logical auto reverse deck ever made.

Play them here mainly on a cheap Aiiwa deck. Main reasons are that some of the content is not available to me in other formats and I prefer their sound to CDs in the car

I still use cassette, as well as R2R. I have lots of cassettes made over the years, including many irreplaceable bootlegs. I have a large collection of pre-recorded R2R tapes as well and many have a unique quality to their sound that you just can't get on vinyl, let alone digital. What's more, tape is great fun.

I have a Nak but it is poorly and needs to go to the docs. I keep spending the money on rekkuds.

I wonder if I can ask a Q guys.

I have an Aiwa AD-F850 which I frankly don't use (I never did if truth be told).
I'm not sure why, it made great recordings when I tried it and Hifi World gave it a big thumbs up when I bought it.

To my question :
- I'm thinking of putting it in the charity section, and raising funds towards a cancer charity close to my heart. What should I ask for it though ? I'm cold on cassette deck prices.

Yep, I have Pioneer, Tascam & Philips CD recorders but they are all limited by their A to D converters & when recording from analogue don't come close to sounding as good as recordings made on my Nak. LX3.

Ah, the LX-3 is a lovely machine. So very under-rated too. I'm always pleasantly surprised at just how close mine comes in sound quality to my ZX-9. Uses the classic Nak dual capstan transport too. I doubt there has ever been a better 2 head deck.

I wonder if I can ask a Q guys.

I have an Aiwa AD-F850 which I frankly don't use (I never did if truth be told).
I'm not sure why, it made great recordings when I tried it and Hifi World gave it a big thumbs up when I bought it.

To my question :
- I'm thinking of putting it in the charity section, and raising funds towards a cancer charity close to my heart. What should I ask for it though ? I'm cold on cassette deck prices.

I do applaud your proposed action, I can't help with the price but yes the AD-F850 is a good machine. I hope you do well.

I have a Nak 600 and the SQ never ceases to amaze me whenever I play a tape. I think I have a belt issue at the moment, because occasionally it jumps out of play; I’ll buy a belt set at some point. I have loads of John Peel cassettes that I recorded over the years, and it would be nice to digitise some of those for the car; it’s just a matter of finding the time TBH.

Ah, the LX-3 is a lovely machine. So very under-rated too. I'm always pleasantly surprised at just how close mine comes in sound quality to my ZX-9. Uses the classic Nak dual capstan transport too. I doubt there has ever been a better 2 head deck.
Yes Mignum I've not heard the image stability the LX3 has in any other 2 head deck. My faithful old 600 mk1 is still going well too.
As far as your ZX9 is concerned, I'm in danger of drooling all over my keyboard;)

I've had loads through my hands, a kind of obsession. At one time owning far too many at the same time.
Of all my Naks I liked the 505 and 1.5 the most. (never owned a Dragon or a 7)
My least favourite was the Teac 8030 which didn't stay very long.

As the cassette collection has been digitised or replaced I have been selling off the decks, leaving me with just two Denons, 44HX and S810. Once the last of the tapes have been sorted these decks will also go.

It's an evil drug but I will kick the habit ;)

I have a Nak 600 and the SQ never ceases to amaze me whenever I play a tape. I think I have a belt issue at the moment, because occasionally it jumps out of play; I’ll buy a belt set at some point. I have loads of John Peel cassettes that I recorded over the years, and it would be nice to digitise some of those for the car; it’s just a matter of finding the time TBH.
I couldn't agree with you more, it shouldn't sound that good. You've just got to love those meters & the mechanical keys.;)

I have loads of John Peel cassettes that I recorded over the years, and it would be nice to digitise some of those for the car; it’s just a matter of finding the time TBH.

Did you know there was a Peel group on Yahoo ?

They are looking for tapes of peel shows.

They will even transcribe them for you.

There is a list of Peel shows available for download on the Peel Wiki Server.

I used to listen in the mid 70s.....

Mike

Did you know there was a Peel group on Yahoo ?
Mike

Yes, I have joined, but not contributed yet. Like everything else, it's just finding the time; I have enough difficulty in keeping up with new music purchases and the many hours of current radio programs that I try to listen to!

I need to either knock up or purchase a recording lead to connect the pre to the pc and I'm away.

I used to use a stereo hi-fi VHS machine for time shifting Peel progs too. Again, I have a machine put by for archiving purposes, if only I had the time to do it!

I'm not complaining, I love listening to music, but a bit more time would be nice!

Have some Tandberg and Neal decks but happy that the scourge of cassette has largely died...
Still use R to R though. sounds great!

I need to either knock up or purchase a recording lead to connect the pre to the pc and I'm away.

I used to use a stereo hi-fi VHS machine for time shifting Peel progs too. Again, I have a machine put by for archiving purposes, if only I had the time to do it!
QUOTE]

On the first matter I use a Sony minidisc, has to be the RH1 model, you can record in real time onto MD then the MD Atrac is uploaded into the PC and Sony software converts to WAV. It would save locking up your PC while you record directly onto it in real time.

I deduce from your second point that your shows are not from the 70s as there were no stereo vhs machines then.

You will find a lot of the later shows already digitised on the Mooo server and available to download.

cheers

Mike

advertisement

Back