advertisement

who remembers Carlsson from Sonab

They where 'the' brand in Sweden during the 1960-70's. Very common (still is in the second hand shops) and you where absolutely not allowed to critisise them. Sonab was owned by the government, btw, must be unique among HiFi manufacturers!

JohanR

Where do you get that from?

I was around when it happened.

They where considered to be top notch by more or less everyone. You simply didn't say 'No they aren't that good'.

There was (and still is!) a big controversy when the Swedish radio choose Yamaha NS1000's as monitors in the 1970's, instead of the 'natural choice' of Sonab's.

In my view, the Sonabs with loads of cheap paper tweeters pointing in every direction wasn't very good. Carlsson's later design's (sold under his own name) was, and is, VERY good indeed.

JohanR

Me too. The SR chose traditional speakers because the were more suitable to the production process in standard studios. Can't remember any great controversy except that some followers complained, but that would have happened in any case...
Btw, I've been is SR studios with other speakers, huge JBL cabinets, ESL-57s, Sonabs...AFAIK the 116 and 2212 were very good indeed. But that's taste...

You can still see these used in some places from time to time in Finland also. Some like them, some don't - I'm still a bit undecided ;)

They sound pretty good IMHO, some say too much hifi and so on...SR puts them on their outlet web page every now and then...

I recall the OA52 which left many speakers sound like boring slow ones, kind of Kan/SBL performance way back

The Sonab were more confuse filling the room a'la Shahinian or Isobarik (these are certainly not confuse)

I have a pair old Mirsch 2-way speakers which must be Swedish made too, not exactly omni construction but interesting ones anyway.

Anyone heard the Duevel's ?

I remember a Scottish Hi-Fi Show back in the 70s where the Quad and Sonab rooms were the only ones not to induce ear-bleed.

I always felt that they were for music lovers rather than "Hi-Fi" enthusiasts.

I had a pair of these in the late 70s in black.
sonab12.jpg

Good fun speakers.:)
I bought one of these cheap in the Harrods sale in the mid 70s for a friend .Horrid thing.:eek:

advertisement

Back