advertisement

Who knew?

matt j

pfm Member
Well this is just an amazing discovery- I'd never have guessed a diet of normal foods would be really healthy, I'm shook to the core. I thought Uber Eats takeaway five times a week was perfectly fine.

"Seafood, fruit and vegetables, and which also incorporates meat, dairy and potatoes" - life changing news

I'm grateful few seem to realise how good whelks are, at pretty much everything!
Sustainable, great source of protein & vitamins, yet most seem to find them gross.
Their loss, my gain - just take some sourcing as I like them fresh and cook myself.
Most frozen / pre cooked are just naff.
I love their texture and taste, which many, for some reason, do not.
Perhaps because it's known as a 'sea snail'

^^^^^^
I am one of those that donates my would be share for your delight.

I'm really not a shell fish fan at all. The only ones that get through are prawns, lobster and crab, the rest are either a no no for me or suffer from my total indifference.

Now fish, oh yeah!

I’m living in southern Spain now. Next weekend I’ve got a friend coming over who is veggie. So what’s struck me is there is not a great deal of choice for Veggies or vegans here. Most of the restaurants have fairly uninspiring veggie pasta/pizza/salad options but not really that much authentic Spanish food which happens to be veggie.
It seems they do like fish, shellfish or meat in a meal here.
There are veggie tapas dishes, Patatas Bravas etc & rice & pulses etc but most have fish etc in them.
It’s a shame as I want to show off the local produce & restaurants but finding it tricky to get a really good selection of veggie options.
And I’m not talking about the cliche’d tourist traps either.

It’s a shame as I want to show off the local produce & restaurants but finding it tricky to get a really good selection of veggie options.
And I’m not talking about the cliche’d tourist traps either.

Good luck with that! Gluten-Free is a thing in Spain (God knows why :rolleyes: ), but they really don't do Veggie or Vegan.

Last edited:
Good luck with that! Gluten-Free is a thing in Spain (God knows why :rolleyes: ), but they really don't do Veggie or Vegan.
Seconded.
When there we used to offer veggie options but not vegan.
There are some others but few and far between.
You should try some of the specialty cuisine restaurants, Indian, Thai etc. depending on your exact location. Many of these are known for veggie dishes within their normal array of dishes as it's often a cultural thing.

You should try provincial France. It's better now than it used to be but a few years back it was all but impossible.
"Hello, we'd like the menu please. My friend here is a vegetarian, what dishes do you have for him?"
Blank look.
"My friend eats neither meat nor fish."
A look of incredulity. "How does he live?"
He eats vegetables, cheese, eggs...
"We have this. There's not *very much* meat in that. He could leave the meat on his plate."
I kid you not. In more than one place.
He ended up with pasta, vegetables and a fried egg, I think, in one place.

advertisement

Back