advertisement

Who is using drones for photography?

JTC

PFM Villager...
I'm sure it's been covered before, but seeing as the tech is always evolving, I'm curious to hear from those in the Photo group who are using drones for photography - rather than film - purposes.

Reason I ask is that I'm unashamedly 'drone curious' and ever now and then I go through a strong phase of wanting to buy one. Being the gadget guy, I gravitate towards the fancier end, for now looking at the DJI Mavic Pro 3 for the Hasselblad main lens & additional medium and long telephotos, but wonder how much I'd actually use them. Living on the coast, I can see many opportunities for good coastal shots, also some of the WW defences on or around the islands off the coast here, but beyond that I fear it might be an occasional plaything rather than a regular tool. I'm also not entirely up-to-date on the current rules around certification/registration, but happy to do that if it's recommended or required.

Having asked all of this, though, maybe I'm expecting too much in terms of stills from drones. Perhaps drone photographers can post links to their drone-based landscapes below?

The Mavic Pro is >900g so more regulated, I know this. I'm not overly concerned about the licensing, I can deal with that if need be. More interested in the results I might or might not get from it, and hearing of others' experiences using semi-pro level drones for photography.

I bought a Karma when they were all the rage. That didn’t work out, but I’ve got loads of photos of the house and environs, and it’s also useful for checking the solar panels and roof tiles. The newest GoPro it will carry is the 7 but it’s pretty good still.
I haven’t dared take it afloat yet!
Yes, I need a licence, but it’s only £10 or so PA.
If interested, I can post some shots later

53334008750_a11e2817ae_k.jpg

This is looking north towards the Downs with Chichester Cathedral in the background. Inspired Turner anyway.

This was with a Hero6 but I bet the DJIs are much better now

The Mini 3 Pro needs to be registered £10.00 pa, can be flown in most places in the UK and is really very quiet so as long as you're a little bit away from other people no-one is any the wiser. Second pic is in Spain - I took my chances on the rules there.

advertisement

Back