advertisement

Who is brave enough to post a selfie?

I seem to remember there were three of those at one time? Maybe only one was listed.

I also remember something similar up towards Manningtree? Strange thing, memeory

I seem to remember there were three of those at one time? Maybe only one was listed.

I also remember something similar up towards Manningtree? Strange thing, memeory

Only ever the one Chain Home transmitter tower at Gt Baddow, the other two or three at its original site were scrapped in the 50s after being used to train aerial erectors.
The tower near Manningtree at Little Bromley is still there. Towards the end of the war, the Little Bromley site was used to spot the distinctive signature of a V2 launch, thus giving the RAF the location of a launch site to destroy.

The remaining Little Bromley Chain Home tower

Thanks for that. I got sucked down an internet rabbit hole, and now I know they were bleeding everywhere - Bawdsey, Ventnor, Poling, Pevensey, Dunkirk, York etc etc. It seemed that three were built at Baddow, which ties with my memory which must be around 1965-ish (pre A12 Chelmsford bypass - I always remember that flyover at one of the roundabouts in Chelmsford, and trying to get my dad to drive over it for fun)
It's amazing what you learn on PFM!

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I got sucked down an internet rabbit hole, and now I know they were bleeding everywhere - Bawdsey, Ventnor, Poling, Pevensey, Dunkirk, York etc etc. It seemed that three were built at Baddow, which ties with my memory which must be around 1965-ish (pre A12 Chelmsford bypass - I always remember that flyover at one of the roundabouts in Chlemsford, and trying to get my dad to drive over it for fun)
It's amazing what you learn on PFM!

Try this rabbit hole! Clicking on the blue towers takes you to the Google Maps location.

http://www.anti-aircraft.co.uk/chain_home_map.html

I think there are five remaining towers.

Bt Baddow
Little Bromley
Stoke Holy Cross near Norwich
Stenigot on the Lincolnshire Wolds
Swingate near Dover

I’ve seen the first four, will try to combine a trip to Swingate with a few other sites of interest in the area at some point (Dover Castle, Bleriot’s ‘landing’ site, Dungeness)

I think there are five remaining towers.

Bt Baddow
Little Bromley
Stoke Holy Cross near Norwich
Stenigot on the Lincolnshire Wolds
Swingate near Dover

I’ve seen the first four, will try to combine a trip to Swingate with a few other sites of interest in the area at some point (Dover Castle, Bleriot’s ‘landing’ site, Dungeness)
Just along the coast from me. I've seen the Swingate Tower. There was a massive transmitter tower at Dungeness up until a few years ago when it was dismantled. I love Dungeness, particularly at night when the nuclear power stations are all lit up .

Just along the coast from me. I've seen the Swingate Tower. There was a massive transmitter tower at Dungeness up until a few years ago when it was dismantled. I love Dungeness, particularly at night when the nuclear power stations are all lit up .
I had a trip with a mate to Dungeness organised… then Covid. Must get round to that again.

sU3LjuY.jpg

advertisement

Back