advertisement

White noise instead of music when I change tracks on spotify -- help!

mandryka

pfm Member
This has happened twice over the past month, both times playing spotify.

When the track changes instead of music I get lots of white noise, sometimes loud! If I pause the stream, the noise stops. If I go to the next track, everything is fine. There's no problem with the spotify track if I go back to it. It does not seem to harm any equipment -- but I don't like it!

Any suggestions about how to diagnose it? I've just changed the streamer to another squeezebox. My plan from there was to change the coaxial cable if it occurs again, and then the DAC and so on. Maybe the problem is in the spotify stream, which is through an LMS plugin. That being said, it hasn't happened on any of my other systems, which use the same plugin.

System is "vintage" and complicated -- Squeezebox, Museatex DAC, external crossover to main speakers and subs, Krell KSA50, external Velleman DC protection, ESL63 and Gradients.

Sounds like a strange one and frustrating. I’ve e never had that problem with LMS and the Spotify plugin in. Is LMS up to date? Perhaps try another coax? There’s now a Community version of the software.

@mandryka

Does this happen only with Spotify supplied by the LMS ? Can you use another source ?

Does it occur when streaming any other source from LMS ?

Twice in a month is not a consistant enough problem to worry too much over imo, there may be any nmber of reasons for the noise, from faulty equipment (something starting to wear out) to issues with the Spotify Plugin.

How is the device configured in the LMS Spotify Settings ?

Does this apply (taken from the user manual) /

[
Default Input Selection

As explained in the previous section, the fiber optic input is automatically selected when power is first applied to the converter. If you are regularly disconnecting power to the converter, perhaps from a central power switch, you may wish to change the default power-on input to the coaxial input. This requires adjustment of a jumper inside the unit, and should be referred to your dealer or other authorized service technician if you wish to make this change.
/QUOTE]

ronnie

@mandryka

Does this happen only with Spotify supplied by the LMS ? Can you use another source ?

Does it occur when streaming any other source from LMS ?

Twice in a month is not a consistant enough problem to worry too much over imo, there may be any nmber of reasons for the noise, from faulty equipment (something starting to wear out) to issues with the Spotify Plugin.

How is the device configured in the LMS Spotify Settings ?

Does this apply (taken from the user manual) /

That's very helpful.

The power is indeed regularly turned off and I am using coax input not fibre optic - I'm going to leave it powered up from now on!

So far it has only happened with spotify. The settings are as follows

<image removed>

In the past I had something similar with Qobuz and LMS, turning things on and off generally resolved it. Never got to the bottom of it, didn't happen often.

I too have had this problem very occasionally from the start when using LMS/Qobuz. Others have reported it as well. I currently assume it's some network-related glitch because of its irregular occurrence.

A while ago I made a tweak to LMS under Settings -> Advanced -> Network -> Streaming mode for HTTP(S) to change "Normal streaming" to "Persistent mode" and the skip hasn't happened since. This may just be coincidence because the problem happened so rarely but maybe it's something to try. There is a "Cached ..." mode there too which may help but I haven't tried it. If one of these obviously works for you (or obviously does not) then it would be good information.

I have LMS 8.2.1 and the most recent Qobuz plugin (v2.6.1) on a RPi4B server. Connected over WiFi to a separate player running Squeezelite on a RPi3A+.

Persistent mode seems to be helping with this white noise problem too -- early days of course, and I may be proved wrong.

Persistent mode seems to be helping with this white noise problem too -- early days of course, and I may be proved wrong.
That's good - I hope the improvement continues to be reliable since I suspect the source is a network glitch that isn't dealt with well at either the service end or the user end (or both).

FYI, there's an issue I think I observe in LMS's "Persistent ..." mode: it seems to be possible, with Qobuz anyway, to provoke the stream into a loop (see here). For me this issue does not happen in "Normal ..." mode or "Cached ..." mode. I am not sure if the same issue happens to others using Qobuz and I haven't tried this out with Spotify to see if it is impacted too.

advertisement

Back