advertisement

Whisky II

Agree the Signatories are excellent vfm.
I didn't think the Secret Orkney (Highland Park) was as heavy on the sherry compared to the Glentauchers, probably as there's also bourbon casks in the mix. The Glentauchers is also a bit sulphury but not bad eggs, more struck matches and I quite like that. I'm not the most sensitive to sulphur. The sherry in the Ardmore sits nicely with the peat. Haven't opened the Ben Nevis 8, Glenrothes, Staoisha or Caol Ila yet...
I'm buying the GS next credit card month - it's hand to mouth ATM.

Last edited:
I had a quick view of the video, some interesting bits but it also feels like an infomercial for their 'flavour profiles'. I was a couple of years into whisky until I realised that a good portion of sherried whisky is generally re-racked (from a bourbon cask, for example) and more recently that there is a lot of use of 'sherried seasoned' casks and the 'dark colour' can be imparted in months vs years, so not an indicator of age, flavour or depth.

On this sherried note, Macallan sent out 'my exclusive' invitation for their 18 yo 2024 (sherry) release at a mere £350, not for me this time.

I had a quick view of the video, some interesting bits but it also feels like an infomercial for their 'flavour profiles'. I was a couple of years into whisky until I realised that a good portion of sherried whisky is generally re-racked (from a bourbon cask, for example) and more recently that there is a lot of use of 'sherried seasoned' casks and the 'dark colour' can be imparted in months vs years, so not an indicator of age, flavour or depth.
Agree it is very much a soft advert for SMWS but I thought worth a watch. They discuss the sherry seasoning at one point and I think they had 50/50 split American and Spanish oak ageing for between 6 months and 2 years iirc. We should drink more sherry as there's just not the capacity for full maturation at reasonable prices. Not going to happen.
I paid £135 for the Signatory 17yo Secret Speyside (M)acallan and though it beats the Bunna 12 CS 2021 I wouldn't rush out to buy another. As for the OB...Macallan can whistle.

On a similar note the Ardbeg Spectacular is just out...NAS, 46% (no CS Committee Release this time) and £99. No thanks.

I love Glenfarclas... how do whisky connoisseurs rate it?
Very highly, classic Speyside. Always solid and often spectacular- one of the all time greats.

All the years it was under the radar it was a hugely affordable alternative to Macallan. Prices have crept up over the last few years but it’s still comparatively affordable and every bit as good as Macallan.

I love Glenfarclas... how do whisky connoisseurs rate it?
At a local tasting my missus asked Ian Buxton what his favourite ever distillery is / was and he replied Glenfarclas. And the man has seen some whisky: https://www.amazon.co.uk/101-Whiskies-Try-Before-You-ebook/dp/B09QM4HDF2?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Incidentally the same local https://haywines.co.uk/ is running a Glenfarclas tasting evening if you happen to be Herefordshire / Worcestershire based (it is postponed so is not now advertised, but places are available)...nowt exotic, core range line up...12,15,105,20, 25 (?). Sadly not hosted by Ian - probably a brand 'ambassador'.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I was given a whisky tasting experience around 11 years ago and I remember the Glenfarclas stood out head and shoulders above the others. It's been my favourite ever since.

Ive been to the distillery though not had a tour. We were last in Speyside, a tour driver had just brought a couple back from there and said they dropped just under £10k on a cask, alright for some.

I echo what a few of the others have said, the 25 yo was excellent value a few years back. I tried the 40yo as a sample from MoM a few years back but I don’t think I gave it long enough to breathe, it was pretty hot.

The 25 used to be a bargain as @SteveG says at £99 but they put the price up to over £200. Currently on offer at MoM for £149:
They could be a bit more generous with the abv.
The 15 looks the best value Glenfarclas and is 46% but I've heard complaints recently about batch variation, put down to inferior/tired casks.
This Cadenheads "Enigma" is reputed to be Glenfarclas. Finished in Manzanilla casks.

I'm in Campbeltown this weekend, another bottle is top of my list.

This Cadenheads "Enigma" is reputed to be Glenfarclas. Finished in Manzanilla casks.

I'm in Campbeltown this weekend, another bottle is top of my list.
I have this bottle in the 20cl version. Initially, I thought the nose was excellent and palate seemed a bit compressed, missing a bit from what was going on with the nose but it has opened up after a few weeks and is a really nice dram. Enjoy the wee toun, hopefully there are some nice selections at Cadenheads, Springbank and Glen Scotia. I think Springbank have started putting Kilkerran's on the cage, good luck on something nice there if you decide have a look. Are you going for any of the warehouse tastings?

Seems a good price, and HoM are undercutting other retailers by a few quid:
I'm at a tasting at Glen Scotia on Saturday will report back.
I have this bottle in the 20cl version. Initially, I thought the nose was excellent and palate seemed a bit compressed, missing a bit from what was going on with the nose but it has opened up after a few weeks and is a really nice dram. Enjoy the wee toun, hopefully there are some nice selections at Cadenheads, Springbank and Glen Scotia. I think Springbank have started putting Kilkerran's on the cage, good luck on something nice there if you decide have a look. Are you going for any of the warehouse tastings?
Only booked GlenScotia so far, i've been to Cadenheads the last two times i was there and ended up spending far too much😉

I was at Annandale today and enjoyed it far more than i expected. Focus is on bottling single casks not vatting a number of casks. Even the core range is done that way.

I resisted the urge to splurge and bought a tasting selection of their unpeated product.

Nice cafe too so could well stop again for lunch on our way home.

advertisement

Back