advertisement

Whisky II

Sorry; meant whisky (sherried or port cask etc)

The one Dad's gone for is sherried but of a private stock; so the blenders done my Dad & I a huge favour and spoken to the owner and they we're more than happy to let us have a 50cl decanter, full cask bottling of it. Edradour have even said they'll send it with their full lead crystal glasses and other stuff etc (they should do at the price we've paid)

Talisker 18 "sold out" widely online with rumours of a huge price rise.
Some more hearsay -
"Here are some prices and % increase if to believed, one of the retailers is a London shop with a location in Soho… so credible:
Talisker 18 - 194% increase to £270
Talisker 25 - 66% to £480
Lagavulin 16 - 46% to £95
Oban 14 - 92% to £100
All of the Diageo range is increasing a min of 6%."

"I heard Diageo are hell bent on premiumising their whole infantry. Partly to combat the significant increase in global demand (some analysts are predicting an additional 500m people will join the global middle classes by the end of the decade, and they seem to have a thirst for single malt). Also, distribution costs and materials are extremely expensive these days. The prices are here to stay. Whether we get more “offer prices” that remains to be seen, however the discounted price is likely to be more than the current retail price."

Waitrose online had Laga 16 for £49 this week...not anymore but may still be in their physical shops.

Laga 16 now £65 on Amazon... Bloody hell!

It's very good (although reading some of the reviews on there make me laugh); but £65 would make me think twice about buying it

I refuse to get involved with these brands if they start to rip us off. Will find those whiskies that continue to give good value and consistency, like Arran, Glencadam etc. Hopefully some will still play fair.
Agreed, there is plenty of choice out there for interesting, well presented and good value whiskies...plus a passionate online whisky community spreading the word.

Well, I'm clocking off now for the year, and in the absence of an office bash I'll be suppin' on this to celebrate. If you've been good boys this year I trust Santa puts something nice in your stocking. Cheers.

Agreed, there is plenty of choice out there for interesting, well presented and good value whiskies...plus a passionate online whisky community spreading the word.

Well, I'm clocking off now for the year, and in the absence of an office bash I'll be suppin' on this to celebrate. If you've been good boys this year I trust Santa puts something nice in your stocking. Cheers.

Thats not a bad dram to be signing off with ;)

All the best and Merry Christmas

Some more hearsay -
"Here are some prices and % increase if to believed, one of the retailers is a London shop with a location in Soho… so credible:
Talisker 18 - 194% increase to £270
Talisker 25 - 66% to £480
Lagavulin 16 - 46% to £95
Oban 14 - 92% to £100
All of the Diageo range is increasing a min of 6%."

"I heard Diageo are hell bent on premiumising their whole infantry. Partly to combat the significant increase in global demand (some analysts are predicting an additional 500m people will join the global middle classes by the end of the decade, and they seem to have a thirst for single malt). Also, distribution costs and materials are extremely expensive these days. The prices are here to stay. Whether we get more “offer prices” that remains to be seen, however the discounted price is likely to be more than the current retail price."

Waitrose online had Laga 16 for £49 this week...not anymore but may still be in their physical shops.
They can say goodbye to me as a customer if they want £100 for Oban 14. There are a great many nice whiskies at a third of that. If Diageo want to sell it all to the new middle classes in China, the Philippines, and wherever else, good luck to them.

I love the Bunna 18, but not at £120 that it is now :( Still got a little bit left of my Bunna PX Cask, really need to finally finish that off!

advertisement

Back