advertisement

Whisky II

Enjoying a wee dram of the Amarone cask this evening. And can echo SPT's notes above. Really nice, and another to add to a growing list of bottles which will be replaced when empty! Only one bloke's opinion, but you can't go wrong with anything that comes out of Arran. I have the Amarone, Sauternes, 10, Bodega, quarter cask and Machrie Moor CS. All fabulous.

Only one bloke's opinion, but you can't go wrong with anything that comes out of Arran. I have the Amarone, Sauternes, 10, Bodega, quarter cask and Machrie Moor CS. All fabulous.

It took me a while to 'get' the Sauternes.....I really didn't like it to begin with. I'm almost finished and I guess I'll be having another....but yes everything I have tried from Arran has been a winner.

The Bothy still wins hands down I think.

This evening I am having a dram of the SMWS "All Peaches and Roses" bottling, which is a 57.8% 9 year old Glen Scotia from 1st fill ex-bourbon barrels. Very lovely.

After a nice walk in the Cairngorms with the dog we lunched in the Richmond Hotel in Tomintoul. As it's next door to the excellent Whisky Castle shop it'd have been rude not to have a browse.

The guy in the shop consistently recommends Benrinnes, which is fairly close to Tomintoul, so I decided to go with that and got a bottle of the 12-year old Carn Mor bottling, which is from first fill hogshead casks and bottled at 47.5% with natural colour and non chill filtered. Turns out it's a good recommendation - sweet and fruity with lots of vanilla.

This evenings tipple...

Interested in your thoughts on this. I bought a bottle, because it looked interesting and I really like the Arran Amarone finish, and I like Rioja, so why not?

I have to say, I haven’t bonded with it the way I instantly did with the Arran. I’ve had a couple of drams now, and while it’s nice and at £33, not by any means poor value, but it feels a bit like a not very special whisky finished in something to add some character. Does that sound unfair?

I've also got the Arran Amarone Finish and that Rioja finished Ledaig and I'd also agree that the Arran is the much better of the two. The nose of the Ledaig I find a bit odd and a tad off-putting, although it tastes ok.

Interested in your thoughts on this. I bought a bottle, because it looked interesting and I really like the Arran Amarone finish, and I like Rioja, so why not?

I have to say, I haven’t bonded with it the way I instantly did with the Arran. I’ve had a couple of drams now, and while it’s nice and at £33, not by any means poor value, but it feels a bit like a not very special whisky finished in something to add some character. Does that sound unfair?

It's interesting in my views; but the Arran is heads above it IMO

Both superb whiskies; the Ledaig has a fantastic instant taste and nose; but wears off quickly; whereas the Arran lingers and has a much nicer mouth feel...

Yes, I wasn’t sure whether it was just that my preference is for Islay malts, so the Tobermory was just unfamiliar. The Arran is a bit special though.

I have both the Ledaig Rioja and the Arran Amarone. I like both, and will replace both, but the Arran is definitely the more memorable of the two. Be interesting if your thoughts change as you get further down the bottle.

Opened this the other night, and wow! Highly recommended. Not cheap at 85ukp, but made a big impression on me.

D2C-2Artboard-1-copy-4_1000x1000.png

Scotch Whisky should not be adulterated by tainted (foreign) casks.

The best is 1. Laphroaig; 2. Lagavulin; 3. Island, Highlands and Southwards.

There are rules for how whisky should be matured:

“Previously, Scotch Whisky could only be matured or finished in casks that had been traditionally used in the industry - bourbon, sherry, rum , wine, beer to name just a few. Such casks will continue to be used but some flexibility has been introduced which potentially allows for the use of casks previously used to mature other spirits, as long as a number of conditions are met.”

So your Lagavulin and Laphroaig will have been matured, and ‘tainted’ by whatever was previously in the casks used to mature it. Part of the skill is choosing casks that will be sympathetic to what the distillery wants to achieve.

https://www.scotch-whisky.org.uk/insights/protecting-scotch-whisky/qa-scotch-whisky-technical-file/

I quite like your subjective ranking but Laphroaig Quarter Cask spends time in Bourbon barrels, Laphroaig 10yo in European oak (so potentially ‘foreign’) barrels, and I’m sure someone mentioned upthread that Lagavulin 16yo contains caramel colouring (which I don’t see as a taint but some do) to satisfy the American market for darker whisky so your rationale for your ranking doesn’t hold water.

Islay bound soon, and although distillery tours are currently few and far between we're booked on a warehouse tasting at Bunnahabhain. It's not a distillery I'm familiar with, so have ordered the 12 for 'research'. I've had a bottle of Stiuireadair in the past, which was nice enough, if not overly complex, and I'm not a massive sherry fan (although I love the peat marriage in Uigeadail). I know the 12 is still sherried but am hoping for a more nuanced dram. I think the smokier Toiteach a Dha might also be a hit with me.

No idea what we'll be trying from the cask, but I'm sure the shop will have some goodies, and there seem to be a few distillery specials available for purchase...and it'd be rude not to. So, any Bunna lovers have recommendations?

Or anything else for a full day and evening on the island? Staying at Port Charlotte. Slainte.

We also usually stay in Port Charlotte when we take the motorhome over there (which we've been trying to do once a year of late), in the campsite just outside the village, and it's a nice little place. The food in the Port Charlotte hotel is pretty good and we also usually visit the Lochindaal Hotel for a pint and a whisky although haven't tried the food there. It's a bit more rustic but very dog friendly.

My tip for a day trip would be to combine a visit to Kilchoman Distillery with a walk along the lovely beach at Machir Bay, which is very close to the distillery (and has one of their malts named after it). The food at the distillery is also good - the Cullen Skink being particularly good.

I've done distillery tours at Kilchoman, Bowmore and Laphroaig and a tasting at Lagavulin (this was during Covid when they weren't doing tours) - and all were good. Kilchoman was an interesting one as it's much smaller and family owned, so quite different from the rest. Haven't done Bunnahabhain yet unfortunately, although I do have their 12 and the Stiuireadair and like both.

This was Ludo enjoying Machir Bay:

169818315.OkAIh6VY.jpg

advertisement

Back