advertisement

Which vacuum cleaner?

About twenty years ago we bought a Sebo, mains powered.
Then thought cordless was the way to go. Bought a Dyson thing… jeepers no. Then a Miele… hmm, perhaps it’s the cordless thing I’m not happy with?
So about a year ago, I dragged the mains powered Sebo back into service, couldn’t be happier. Proper power, keeps going til fossil fuels and solar give up, and changing the bag is far far easier than the frequent emptying of the bagless cordless efforts.

Still got two Dysons - a DC14 and a DC27 Animal.

One’s had a new motor recently and the other a new brush bar and belt. Both still going strong and the DC27 is still the best thing I’ve found for successfully vacuuming up cat hair.

Miele.
20 years old never missed a beat.
Fabulously designed. Built like a tank.
Had a dyson biggest load of rubbish I've ever bought. The council tips are full of this karp. Ask the guys who work there.
Miele here too, of a similar age and reliablity. Of course now it'll go and break. Had two "standard" hoovers before it, an Electrolux and an actual Hoover, both lasted a couple of years (give or take) before breaking. Both cost about a 1/4 what the Miele did, so pretty easy to work out which one has been the better value for money.

I examined a Dyson in a shop a couple of years ago and it seemed made of slightly loose, rattly plastic, a bit like a big toy. I'd never buy one, but for some reason many women I know love them.
We've had a basic Miele, with a cable that you plug into the wall, for about 20 years and it still works fine.

our Dysons have lasted 12+ years. 1 DC01, and two cordless. No thin rattly plastic. In fact they have outlived a Henry....

oh and nothing to do with women in this house - strange sexist remark

Miele C3 Cat & Dog here (Amazon, though the link seems old, I certainly only paid half that).

I had a Dyson DC01 for years, but once the motor was well on the way out I looked for other options. I’d not buy Dyson again as I have zero respect for James Dyson since he advocated so strongly for Brexit and then shifted all his manufacturing to cheap labour in Malaysia. Asshole. The build quality seems to have suffered a lot since the DC01/DCO2 days too. Just not a contender for me even if I respect some of the design thinking.

The Miele has proven highly reliable, clean and highly effective. I’ve never had it on more than half power (it has five settings) as I can’t move the brush on the carpet it sucks so hard! It is made in the EU and seems well supported. I also vastly prefer having a dust bag to the Dyson system of dust flying all over the back yard, up your nose and all over your clothes as you try to empty the transparent plastic container into a bin sack.

The thing that has surprised me is how much I’ve ended up liking a cylinder cleaner with hose. I’ve only ever had uprights before, first an ancient Hoover Junior from the 1970s I bought on a market stall for a fiver back in the ‘80s and serviced myself for a decade or two, and then the DC01 which is still dead in the cellar somewhere. As such I get about 15-20 years out of a hoover! I’ve had no reason to strip the Meile down yet, though it looks well made and serviceable.

PS Now I’ve found I like cylinder cleaners and if I wanted something more affordable than the Miele I’d likely go for a Henry (Amazon). Made in the UK and look fully serviceable long-term. Got a face too.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Dyson do a good repair scheme - for about £69 pounds a man visits the house and replaces just about everything that is slightly worn or broken, and you get a guarantee withe the repair. To book the repair go to the Dyson web site and find the section on repairs

http://www.dyson.co.uk/Support/ArrangeService.aspx

Even a modestly-skilled DIYer can do this themselves, perhaps with the aid of a YouTube video or two. I've replaced the motor and a selection of other bits on our 20+ year old DC04.

Bought a 1980's Kirby second hand in 2003 for about £60. Since that time, bags aside, all I've had to do was change one drive belt. It is a cumbersome beast, but it lifts the carpet off the floor as it passes over it - the acid test in my opinion.

We've had a few Dysons over the years but never really got on with them.

Five years ago the Miele Complete C3 Cat and Dog came into out house. It is excellent, all the power you need (controllable), tools in the cleaner and disposable dust bags. Light or heavy cleaning it does it all with ease.

Henrys for work, they’re almost impossible to kill, everything is replaceable.

At home we used to have a Dyson, I hated it and Mrs BB found it too heavy. Got a 2 Sharks now, great for the money, 1 mains, 1 cordless.

Got a Henry in the garage for car duties.

Cheers BB

Henrys for work, they’re almost impossible to kill, everything is replaceable.

At home we used to have a Dyson, I hated it and Mrs BB found it too heavy. Got a 2 Sharks now, great for the money, 1 mains, 1 cordless.

Got a Henry in the garage for car duties.

Cheers BB

Henrys are indestructible, but I never found them useful for purely domestic situations. Tradesmen love them for cleaning up after a job.

Dysons are vile. Never again.

We've got a mains Shark at the moment. Excellent and very versatile for all-round vacuuming, but a bit of an ergonomic nightmare.

I know that they're frowned on nowadays, but the old simple vacuums with disposable bags were a lot easier to use and service.

About twenty years ago we bought a Sebo, mains powered.
Then thought cordless was the way to go. Bought a Dyson thing… jeepers no. Then a Miele… hmm, perhaps it’s the cordless thing I’m not happy with?
So about a year ago, I dragged the mains powered Sebo back into service, couldn’t be happier. Proper power, keeps going til fossil fuels and solar give up, and changing the bag is far far easier than the frequent emptying of the bagless cordless efforts.
We have a Sebo for carpet and 2 Mieles for everything else; one upstairs and one down . All well over 10 years old, one of the Mieles must be 20, still perfectly functional and still retracting its cord.

If you need new Miele stuff the outlet is well worth checking. It has been great for kitting out our kids.

Henrys are indestructible, but I never found them useful for purely domestic situations. Tradesmen love them for cleaning up after a job.

Dysons are vile. Never again.

We've got a mains Shark at the moment. Excellent and very versatile for all-round vacuuming, but a bit of an ergonomic nightmare.

I know that they're frowned on nowadays, but the old simple vacuums with disposable bags were a lot easier to use and service.
First I've heard of it. But then I don't bother keeping up with the latest fad or war humans get themselves involved with.

advertisement

Back