advertisement

which UK Hi-Fi makers currently make a stereo FM tuner?

Jim Audiomisc

pfm Member
Suddenly wondering this as I can't recall any being mentioned recently. Nor in a magazine review or ad. And I mean a *tuner* for radio reception. Not a device that also does web streams, etc.

C

C

Whilst Cambridge Audio is a UK hifi company, most of their products are manufactured in China.

As far as a tuner is concerned, I think the answer is now none. There are very few new tuners out there now, looks like you have a choice of Rotel or Project in the mainstream market, or Tangent from Richer Sounds. Top end, I think McIntosh do one, and I found a German one - Restek. If you want a UK brand (especially UK built), then used is the only option. I sold my Cyrus Dab 8 a few years ago, as I don't use FM much, and it had no Dab+, so now stream any radio I want into an Ifi Zen Blue.

I guess there are plenty out there used, as per post above, probably add Arcam and Cyrus to the list.

Anyone deciding to make an FM tuner these days would have a hard job finding someone to sell it to.

Especially at full retail.
Sold a very rare Fm tuner recently , still been a bit of demand for it since it sold .but yes they are very hard to sell

Finding the components to manufacture a classic superhet FM tuner would not be easy. The RF filter and detector parts and stereo decoders have largely been discontinued. Car radios are usually SDR designs these days.

Wasn't there talk of FM being switched off at some point? I seem to recall some discussion around it when DAB first came out, I'm presuming it never happened.

Wasn't there talk of FM being switched off at some point? I seem to recall some discussion around it when DAB first came out, I'm presuming it never happened.

Here in Sweden DAB is hardly even on, let alone FM being switched off :) Don't think FM tuners sell in any numbers, though, from checking the SH prices.

Norway switched off FM for national broadcasts some years ago, they lost something like 30 - 40 percent of the listeners. :( for them.

Latest date is now 2030 but that can shift if politicians need it to. All in aid of freeing up the airwaves for 5G. Heavens where I live getting a
3G signal is a result.

Last edited:
It was certainly before C19, but there was a statement by UK authorities that the switch-off of FM had been permannently postponed for all the reasons stated and implied above, not least DAB coverage, which amount to common-sense, which could be a first for anything related to a government anouncement/decision.

Whilst Cambridge Audio is a UK hifi company, most of their products are manufactured in China.

And my question is wrt an FT Tuner. i.e. NOT a combo unit of FM, streaming, media player, etc, etc.

I can find various boxes that do-it-all. Indeed, I did try one sent to me a while ago. The problem was that it was in practice insanely over-compicated and fiddly to use simply as a *radio* tuner. I gave up on that before I even had a chance to go further as it was such a PITA to use an an FM tuner.

OK, I'll admit an AM/FM *tuner* into the scope of my question. But as yet I've not seen one - traditional or SDR-based - on sale from any 'Hi F' company. They all get the 'swiss army knife required' built in, making them more expensive and complex to use.

Anyone deciding to make an FM tuner these days would have a hard job finding someone to sell it to.

Especially at full retail.

Puzzling given that these days an SDR-based one could work very well indeed and be cheap-as-chips to make in quantity. But the closest I can recall to that in Hi-Fi was an integrated amp that you could add SDR to as a plug-in extra. Creek IIRC.

Finding the components to manufacture a classic superhet FM tuner would not be easy. The RF filter and detector parts and stereo decoders have largely been discontinued. Car radios are usually SDR designs these days.

That's potentially fine as a well-designed SDR based unit could work very well indeed.

Is it that establised Hi-Fi companies are clueless about SDR? Or that they assume 'shovelware increases sales'?... not exactly the mindset that led to the rise of enthusiasm for Hi-Fi, is it?

advertisement

Back