advertisement

Which turntable?

GF670

pfm Member
I’ve recently put together a system in my study and am looking to add a turntable. I would like something classic - either an idler or direct drive. Possibly a Garrard 301.

One problem is that the room is upstairs and has suspended wood floors. Ideally I would want the turntable on a table/sideboard/rack rather than on a wall. In my past experience my LP12 hasn’t worked at all in such a setup - it tend to skip if you walk to closely or accidentally bang the sideboard.

So my question is whether an idler or direct drive turntable would be any better in this respect, and what, if anything, would work best?

At the 301 budget level I would go for a Technics SP10. With Fidelity Research arm if you can. Decent plinth of course. It will sound good, no fettling, will never break and when you want a change you should at least get your money back.

I’d save a lot of money & just get a decent modern Technics like a GR. It will be different from an LP12 & give you no hassle.

There’s a man on this forum with a nice Garrard for sale.

Thanks some good suggestions maybe a Technics would be a good idea. I do like the looks of the Garrards though, or perhaps a TD 124. I will do some research as it’s more of a long term aim and it would be good to get something nice.

I’ve had a garrard 401 and currently a thorens td124, both have been on an oak sideboard which stands on a suspended floor. Both turntables’ plinths have had anti-vibration buffers/feet screwed in, purchased from Vital-Parts uk.

I can thump the sideboard or stomp on the floor whilst playing records without any needle skipping…whether them being straight, tapered or conical in design…the buffers are completely fit for this purpose and a pretty inexpensive product.

I bought a 1210GR to use whilst my 301 was away at the Elderly Gramophone Hospital. Having used both in the same system, I’m not sure there’s enough between them to justify the faff/expense/paranoia of vintage when starting from scratch.

If you can afford a properly restored Garrard 301(or 401) get it. I've had many tables over the course of five plus decades including AR's, Technics, Thorens, Lenco's, etc, and while they're all wonderful, my recently acquired 301 is an absolute winner. Solid as they come, it's also a beautiful table, and a wonderful piece of history. You'll never be sorry. But again, it's important that it's had a proper going over first.

IMG-9899.jpg

I’ve recently put together a system in my study and am looking to add a turntable. I would like something classic - either an idler or direct drive. Possibly a Garrard 301.

One problem is that the room is upstairs and has suspended wood floors. Ideally I would want the turntable on a table/sideboard/rack rather than on a wall. In my past experience my LP12 hasn’t worked at all in such a setup - it tend to skip if you walk to closely or accidentally bang the sideboard.

So my question is whether an idler or direct drive turntable would be any better in this respect, and what, if anything, would work best?
Do a search on In-Soles or mushrooms and consider replacing the springs on your LP12. It’s a relatively cheap move and one that should greatly improve the performance of the deck and make it far less susceptible to the problems a bouncy suspension causes.

I bought a 1210GR to use whilst my 301 was away at the Elderly Gramophone Hospital. Having used both in the same system, I’m not sure there’s enough between them to justify the faff/expense/paranoia of vintage when starting from scratch.
I have a GR and a fettled 401 with SME 3012 in a Bastin plinth. As they have the same cart (95ML) they're easy to compare and there really isn't much between them. Absolutely solid pitch stability on both. The 401 will probably win out as it's just a tiny bit more laid back in its presentation (which probably means the GR has higher fidelity but...you know...) and looks gorgeous.

No desire to go back to rubber bands.

If you can afford a properly restored Garrard 301(or 401) get it. I've had many tables over the course of five plus decades including AR's, Technics, Thorens, Lenco's, etc, and while they're all wonderful, my recently acquired 301 is an absolute winner. Solid as they come, it's also a beautiful table, and a wonderful piece of history. You'll never be sorry. But again, it's important that it's had a proper going over first.

IMG-9899.jpg
That’s a lovely looking turntable - from a pride of ownership perspective alone it would be a great option.

advertisement

Back