advertisement

Which thrust bearing for Garrard 401?

Moppit

pfm Member
Slightly confused about the options on thrust bearings for my Garrard 401. After inspection over the weekend there is a pronounced flat on the dome.

Should i buy the original from Loricraft, kokomo from Germany, ctc classic stainless one or the kit from xaudiodesign on ebay? Or are there others?

Can anyone report if there are much differences?

Thanks
Moppit

Keep the standard one! All wear a slight flat on them but it doesn't make a huge difference to performance. Using anything like a ball bearing (ceramic. phosphor Bronze or steel) runs the risk of spindle damage on these as. Simply make sure there's the right oil in the thrust bearing well, and leave well alone would be my advice. Mine is 40 years old, and still sounding sweet on the original thrust pad.

Original, every time IMO. I simply do not trust the ceramic bearings after hearing far too many stories of damage to the base of the irreplaceable spindle. I very briefly tried a Kokomo bearing in my 301, I preferred the sound of the stock Garrard bearing so swiftly swapped it out again. I would strongly advise a good search of the classic room here on pfm before installing a ceramic bearing such as the Kokomo as there have been several quite disturbing reports of issues.

PS I'll move this thread into the classic area as that's where lovely old Garrard's belong.

Thanks both, sorry about the wrong thread thing.

I cleaned up the existing one and the spindle with some iso and put a few drops of 5w/30 synthetic oil in.

Actually cannot find anywhere selling the originals online. Thought loricraft did it but nothing on his site. Any thoughts? Is there anything else i should be looking at by way of a DIY service? Cleaned the inner rim and idler wheel with iso too.

Thanks

I'd not worry overly about the flat spot on the bronze thrust pad, it's designed to do that, and FWIW the 301's thrust plate was entirely flat from new! Just give it a good clean, re-lube it and the deck should be fine for many years. Use a nice mid-weight oil that is safe for sintered bronze (some modern synthetics are not).

PS Hint: use a smear a little standard automotive grease on both sides of the paper gasket before reassembling the bearing, it will stop your new oil falling out!

The sintered bronze thrust pad is porous, after a good clean with IPA, it can be re-loaded with oil. Simple to do, just leave overnight, you can warm it up a little too to help the process.

The recommendation is to use old fashioned oil without additives, modern oils have teflon/graphite and other stuff (that helps modern engines) but clogs the bronze.

advertisement

Back