advertisement

Which Systemdek II

Rosie

pfm Member
Short simple question . I'm thinking about getting a Systemdek II to go with my Nait 50 . Which is better the ' biscuit tin ' one or the wood plinth one ?

This is probably more appropriate in the Classic room. However, both the II and the IIX are excellent decks, although the former seems to be selling for more these days, which probably still makes the IIX a bit of a bargain. A IIX in good condition with either an RB250 or a Linn Basic Plus is a lovely thing indeed and very inexpensive for what such quality performance. However, if you want something just a bit special, look for the IIS. It looks very like the standard II but essentially uses the bearing, heavy dished platter and clamping system from the Reference Systemdek III - well worth paying quite a premium over the standard II for this one, and also worthy of pairing with a high quality tonearm.

p.s. If you come across a IIS and it's missing its clamp, then either pay much, much less, or avoid. The dished platter means the clamp is necessary. The clamp itself is brilliant - quite the best of its type I've ever come across, and so easy to use. The clamp on its own can sell for as much as a whole deck on its own, so...

Thank you .
I should have said , I have a cheeky Alphason Opal arm to go on it .
Didn't know about the II s having a clamp - good to know

The clamp itself is brilliant - quite the best of its type I've ever come across, and so easy to use. The clamp on its own can sell for as much as a whole deck on its own, so...
Do you mean the metal “RetroClamp”?

No, it's very light weight and, IIRC uses a ball bearing within to grip the spindle that you release with a spring loaded button on the top.

The closest equivalent was the ADC Pro-grip clamp, although that was a fair bit heavier too.

systemdek_iis.jpg

Image of Systemdek IIS with clamp and cover from Vinyl Engine.

No, it's very light weight and, IIRC uses a ball bearing within to grip the spindle that you release with a spring loaded button on the top.

The closest equivalent was the ADC Pro-grip clamp, although that was a fair bit heavier too.

systemdek_iis.jpg

Image of Systemdek IIS with clamp and cover from Vinyl Engine.
That is a Systemdek Retro Clamp in my image. The clamp in your image was the earliest version which was plastic. There was a later metal one which looked like it. Mine is the second version of the metal clamp. This was confirmed by Ramsay Dunlop.

Any other thoughts on which performs better , Biscuit Tin Systemdek II or Wood Plinth Systemdek II ?
It's for my dining room system and I like the idea of a cherry plinth with my Cherry Spendor S3 speakers or a Silver round Systemdek next to the Nait 50 and Rega Apollo .
Might be hard to find a Systemdek IIs

Hmm, I had a new Systemdek llX as my first decent turntable when I was 15. Moved the arm and cartridge over to my LP12 five years later. It was a lot better. Ergo I don’t think i’d recommend one with a Nait 50.

Hmm, I had a new Systemdek llX as my first decent turntable when I was 15. Moved the arm and cartridge over to my LP12 five years later. It was a lot better. Ergo I don’t think i’d recommend one with a Nait 50.
Thank you for taking the time to reply appreciate it.
The Apollo works very well with my Nait 50 it what is a second system and my main system has an LP12 loaded for bear !
I'm intrigued to try the phonostage on the Nait 50 and frankly I would like to add something pretty to the collection be it a Silver Biscuit Tin Systemdek or Cherry Plinth Systemdek II .

System Rega Apollo , Naim Nait 50 , Yamaha TX 10 tuner and Spendor S3 speakers

Thank you for taking the time to reply appreciate it.
The Apollo works very well with my Nait 50 and my main system has an LP12 loaded for bear !
I'm intrigued to try the phonostage on the Nait 50 and frankly I would like to add something pretty to the collection be it a Silver Biscuit Tin Systemdek or Cherry Plinth Systemdek II .

System Rega Apollo , Naim Nait 50 , Yamaha TX 10 tuner and Spendor S3 speakers

What about a Gyrodec? I’ve always loved the looks despite being a LP12 man for a long time (now also WT Simplex).

What about a Gyrodec? I’ve always loved the looks despite being a LP12 man for a long time (now also WT Simplex).
Don't want to spend that kind of money on something that would get used once or twice a week also the Gyrodec is quite big the Systemdeks have a small footprint ( Biscuit tin ) or very slimline ( wood plinth ) .

Any other thoughts on which performs better , Biscuit Tin Systemdek II or Wood Plinth Systemdek II ?
It's for my dining room system and I like the idea of a cherry plinth with my Cherry Spendor S3 speakers or a Silver round Systemdek next to the Nait 50 and Rega Apollo .
Might be hard to find a Systemdek IIs
I think I have read that the wooden IIX is better than the biscuit tin version, but I can't remember why.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Two of these decks I'm aware of the Audio Emotion one is new to me , the Avondale Taps , Acrylic Platter and half decent lid make it a good candidate .
The Pink Fish one is sold £100
The silver one looks a bit expensive
Thanks for the input , do appreciate it

The first Dunlop Transcription is well worth seeking out. With a good arm and cartridge it is very competitive With modern turntables. It was well thought of at the time and still holds its reputation which is why I sought it out. An issue is the Nextel finish. Its worth removing and re-painting. The base can be bought for as little as £100 which is a complete bargain. You then just need a good arm and cart. I bought mine intending it to be a base unit that I can upgrade over time. my arm is a Project 9cc which is very nice and I upgraded the cart stylus to an Ortofon 520 mk 2 which is a good improvement over the mk 1. A very nice combination which already hints at the deck’s potential. It mates well with the Tisbury. Listening to an old vinyl of the Kretzer sonata with Ashkenazy and Perlman at the moment. The turntable really pulls you into the performance.

I’ve also had a bottle of Lyra SPT for years that I use the treat the stylus. It’s a great cleaner and makes a noticeable and positive difference When applied. I thought it was expensive when I bought it but it has lasted for years and tigers still plenty left.

advertisement

Back