advertisement

Which speakers for classic system?

rommell

As a second system (or is that third, if I count the AV system), I have put together some classic components, which all work and ssound great running through a pair of n-Sats I "borrowed" from the AV system. However, they can't stay there forever and in keeping with the classic theme, I'm after the best match of speakers from the same period. The system consists of the following;

CD: Meridian 206B - see comments on Classic CD player thread

LP: Systemdek IIX/RB250/Grado - Only piece I may change. A good deck but not quite up to the rest of the system. I'm also not a huge fan of the RB250 - a wonderful piece of engineering for the money, but musically a little lacking. I have a Heed Orbit I might try on it and also a Linn Akito knocking about so I may try them both (need to find an armboard for the Linn).

Amp: Naim NAC42.5/Hicap/NAP110 - As a classic this combo has it all; style, serviceability and real sonic substance. with higher prices being paid for early shoe-box Naits and Nait2s, the price you can pick up a NAC42.5/NAP110 combo is a complete bargain.

Tuner: A couple of choices here; Hitachi MD5500 or Technics ST-8077B. I'll probably keep the Technics - so slim and cool looking and surprisingly good sound too.

And so, to speakers... I used to love Royds, so an old pair of Sorcerers are high on the list. Otherwise I'm tempted by a pair of Neat Petites but in both cases we're starting to stretch the "classic" status..

Linn Kans and Saras are under consideration but perhaps just a little, er.. obvious?

Epos ES14s are another possibility and a definite classic of the period...

The devil in me is whispering to just go and find a pair of JBL 4343s and let the rest go hang... Tricky to accomodate though, and will I always be in the mood for their boisterous and unsubtle (but undeniably great fun) presentation?

I favour stand-mounts, I have a pair of Kudos stands tucked away in a cupboard, so what are your suggestions..?

R

You could do worse than try a pair of the original Wharfedale Diamonds. The better the front end, the better they sound. When driven by a Krell KA 50 , according to a local retailer here on Oxford, they made people smile. That is, until they found out how much the Krell cost ! Martyn Miles .

JBL 4343s, although I think you possibly meant 4311s or 4312s... (I'd still go for 4343s or 4333s or 4325s).

4343s... one of the great thrills in my audio past. Wonderfully mad but so hard to find and accomodate. One day, maybe... Have to stay realistic.

And at the other end of the scale... Diamonds! Yes, I recall them being quite special on the end of a serious system.

Any more? I used to have some JR149s that I used at Uni. They did some amazing things, I recall. Wish I hadn't given them away now - the prices on ePay are incredible!

A pair of very nice JBL 4315's sold on eBay for only £200 two months ago. A set of new foam surrounds and you'd have a ball...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220269539373&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

2e7f_1.JPG

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I know, and one original owner too.

If I wasn't in Nth Ireland I would have had them. I was in contact with the buyer and he spent about £50 on refoams and these guys are now belting out sweet tunes....

some of the older B&Os are quite nice, Beovox S-80s, CX100, SL45s etc. might need a bit of handiwork to get them in shape tho.

"high but unknown wattage" no wonder the seller only got 200 quid.

The original advert text didn't even have the model 4315 listed. He added that after I quizzed him on what they were and he decided to look at the rear panel..!!!

Hi rommell

Classic speakers?? I would buy a nice pair of Spendor BC1's with their dedicated trollys, these are fabulous speakers from the mid 1970's... I use the brilliant Quad ESL 57's myself.

Only my tuppence worth chum. Best wishes.

macvisual

Thanks all, the BC1s I'm not too sure about. I have heard a pair and found them a bit slow and undynamic - not much fun really. Spendor SP1s or 2s might be interesting but I'm scared I'll find them a bit... dull?

You could do worse than try a pair of the original Wharfedale Diamonds. The better the front end, the better they sound. When driven by a Krell KA 50 , according to a local retailer here on Oxford, they made people smile. That is, until they found out how much the Krell cost ! Martyn Miles .

I agree on the Diamonds, heard them sounding wonderfull with a grunty Perreaux some years ago, friends who were there still talk about them.
If you are contemplating 57s beware of the grunty amps!

Errol,

I used to have a pair of ESL57s, which I sold last year. They were restored by Quad in 1990 and kept completely standard apart from uprated clamps. They were wonderful on the end of the NAP110 and latterly I used them with a Nait5 that also worked well.

Unfortunately, while they were superb with small scale music, dynamics and bass were not their forte. Alos they were a complete s.o.b. to position right. I could never get enough space behind them and hate having speakers well out in the room.

I'd always wanted a pair and tried hard to love them but I just couldn't all of the time...

advertisement

Back