advertisement

Which phono route?

I've never heard a step up transformer that could match a good MC stage and many seem to have found the same result.... As they say though "YMMV"! It could be that a colouration from the transformer appeals to some people!

Indeed. But I have never heard a good solid state mc stage that could match a good tranformer. So where does that leave us? In the same place as usual with audio...going round in circles.
Such is life.

Indeed. But I have never heard a good solid state mc stage that could match a good tranformer. So where does that leave us? In the same place as usual with audio...going round in circles.
Such is life.

The exact opposite to my own findings.... Such is life indeed :)

What exactly is it that a step-up transformer does? Electrically speaking, trades current for voltage and adds in various low level distortions. It doesn't do anything else, does it?

What exactly is it that a step-up transformer does? Electrically speaking, trades current for voltage and adds in various low level distortions. It doesn't do anything else, does it?

That's pretty much it yes. It also gives an impedance transformation which is the square of the turns ratio, so for a voltage gain of 20dB (x10) the 47K input impedance of the MM input would appear as 470 Ohm to the MC cartridge.
With a transformer, distortion will always rise at low frequencies and there will usually be a resonant peak at some ultrasonic frequency. They cannot of course go down to DC.... so this will cause some degree of LF phase shift.
There is always a risk of colourations/frequency response aberrations with a transformer unless it is designed to match very precise conditions at both primary and secondary, IE if the MM input has 100pF loading capacitance that may well be fine but with another MM stage with 470pF resonance could move down into the audio band.
Generally they tend to be more coloured than a good MC amplifier and, in my experience, a bit less transparent. Obviously some like a coloured sound though..... SET amps are fairly popular!

I wonder if it's just the change in loading that a SUT brings which sometimes yields better results than the MC section of a phono stage? My EAR 834P sounds miles better running SUT in to MM rather than using the in built step up transformers.

So who has bitten the bullett on the arkless update here?

what mc stage did you originally have and how do you compare the arkless version to it?

I was in a similar quandary some years ago. I had a naim 82 with 2x hicap LP12, 2004 spec. I tried out various phono stages, Trichord, Phonomena, tom evans groove, roksan none of which significantly improved on the 82 internal boards. They might have been slightly quieter with more gain, none lived up to their hype. as Gaius said the naim boards are pretty good considering their cost.
So I would say it is essential to try out a few units with your equipment.
Mind you there are a lot phono stages to choose from now which is a great advantage.
I had to go up to a much higher spec to to get a better sound

I was in a similar quandary some years ago. I had a naim 82 with 2x hicap LP12, 2004 spec. I tried out various phono stages, Trichord, Phonomena, tom evans groove, roksan none of which significantly improved on the 82 internal boards. They might have been slightly quieter with more gain, none lived up to their hype. as Gaius said the naim boards are pretty good considering their cost.
So I would say it is essential to try out a few units with your equipment.
Mind you there are a lot phono stages to choose from now which is a great advantage.
I had to go up to a much higher spec to to get a better sound

what did you go for?

So who has bitten the bullett on the arkless update here?

what mc stage did you originally have and how do you compare the arkless version to it?

I got one all up under £200. Replaced Naim 7 series cards. Other phonos I have had are the TEAD Microgroove+ (very clear and detailed) and an Icon PS 2 (fluid and warm) Having said that other than the Naim cards I have made no side by side comparison. What I can say Is that I am not even thinking about a phono stage upgrade and if I ever do It would be from the teir above what I have already owned. My TT is a WTA GTA/Ortofon Cadenza Blue

I agree with the above about the Naim cards very good value for money.

I changed everything in the end and got a BAT valve pre and phono stage. They produce a different sound (to the the naim gear) which I prefer. Another reason for changing was because I had some ATC actives and felt they benefited from being connected to a balanced source.

advertisement

Back