advertisement

Which one is most accurate digital or vinyl?

But do a really really really good pouty frilly knicker flounce, I am an expert if you need coaching...

I'm trying but he keeps trying to drag me back in, as he did this morning.

All silly really.

Suggest just putting the guy on your ignore list Max and if he keeps trying to provoke then just report the posts. I'm sure the mods can take care of it.

Music theory is lovely, it's like a weird code, that might have a beginning and and end and all this mushy wonderful stuff in the middle that you can attempt to unravel and see why it is the shape it is. Theory is the underpinning of a musical language, its structure and form cannot be fully understood without understanding its anatomy and no this is not elitism, it is like watching a foreign language movie with the subtitles off, you get snatches of phrases, you see the events unfolding but the real contextual complexity, the way this frigging thing was built and what makes it stand up is elusive and mysterious unless you have the knowledge to understand what you are listening to.

Listening can only get you so far. Seriously. Theory and reading are necessary in order to grasp the what and the how, and maybe the why of a piece of music.

As a visual artist I can't disagree more. Theory does not underpin any art form, it merely helps to rationalize it verbally to someone else. Music is the organisation of sound and can be done entirely by responding to sound and making decisions about how that sound is structured. A painter thinks visually not in verbal theory. Did Bach have a musical theory? I doubt it, he never wrote anything of the sort, just composed music. Paul Klee's notebooks are some of the best artistic theory of the 20C, but he only wrote them to help teach at the Bauhaus.

Reading about the theory of music never helped me appreciate it one jot more, whether Hendrix, Beethoven or John Cage. Music itself is the language, and I'm sure those composers used musical language to create their music and that it didn't come out of written or verbal theory.

Your subtitle analogy is completely incorrect too.

mat

I'm trying but he keeps trying to drag me back in, as he did this morning.

All silly really.

As someone said, if you don't want to be involved, stop posting and go somewhere else. It really is that easy.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head, forcing you to participate.

As a visual artist I can't disagree more. Theory does not underpin any art form, it merely helps to rationalize it verbally to someone else. Music is the organisation of sound and can be done entirely by responding to sound and making decisions about how that sound is structured. A painter thinks visually not in verbal theory. Did Bach have a musical theory? I doubt it, he never wrote anything of the sort, just composed music. Paul Klee's notebooks are some of the best artistic theory of the 20C, but he only wrote them to help teach at the Bauhaus.

Your subtitle analogy is completely incorrect too.

mat

Of course being of the "lesser" arts I shall save you the ignominy of a full on cross media bitchfight. I will win, I always win.

But point taken, however yes Bach had a complete musical theory.

Ok ok, musical academics have pinned a whole raft of probable suppositions that indicate he knew precisely what he wanted and how his theory shaped chaining music to a stupid even temperament scale that held back music for hundreds of years

Ok ok, musical academics have pinned a whole raft of probable suppositions that indicate he knew precisely what he wanted and how his theory shaped chaining music to a stupid even temperament scale that held back music for hundreds of years

In the arts generally it's the case that creative practitioners have a theory that underpins their work. But the theory is usually not what the theoreticians think it is.

The classic case is Aristotle's theory of tragedy, which bears very little relation to what Greek tragedians actually did.

Then obviously your theory behind Bach's music tells us nothing about his music and proves my point.

mat

Seriously? I proved your point? OK. well...uh <looks blank>
I don't even…

I dislike engaging with the visual arts types... Aristotle... they always mention bloody Aristotle. I would like to show the grubby little pederast a sawtooth wave and say get all ethically nichomachean with that you bearded tosser.

Seriously? I proved your point? OK. well...uh <looks blank>
I don't even…

I dislike engaging with the visual arts types... Aristotle... they always mention bloody Aristotle. I would like to show the grubby little pederast a sawtooth wave and say get all ethically nichomachean with that you bearded tosser.

Probably why you post inane copious amounts of crap on Pink Fish rather than making music.

mat

Good grief! Another guy from the Joshua Bedford school of "if you run out of rational arguments, attack your opponent" having a never-ending argument on the internet, whilst repeatedly ducking any questions or arguments not supporting their position. Enough already!

Still no answer to a perfectly legitimate question...

So you are coming from *that* side of the artcrit lounge! I come from the peanut gallery so get thee back to your posh canapés and floppy cuffs and leave those of us (well, me) whom consider philosophy pre 1950* to be a waste of time where 21st C sound is concerned.

*Maybe Kierkegaard, if he brings booze. Popper is of course untouchable.

Probably why you post inane copious amounts of crap on Pink Fish rather than making music.

mat

Bad poetry fills the gaps between tracks
And ponies
That goes without saying

So you are coming from *that* side of the artcrit lounge! I come from the peanut gallery so get thee back to your posh canapés and floppy cuffs and leave those of us (well, me) whom consider philosophy pre 1950* to be a waste of time where 21st C sound is concerned.

*Maybe Kierkegaard, if he brings booze. Popper is of course untouchable.

Bad poetry fills the gaps between tracks
And ponies
That goes without saying

Ok peace and apologies - artistically we will never see eye to eye. Keep on with the poetry, ponies and above all music.

mat

advertisement

Back