advertisement

Which Naim Pre-amp?

I have a Avondale-style modified 102/NAPSC for sale along with an Andrew Weekes modified HiCap to power it. It ate my NAC82/SuperCap for breakfast and lasted through a 140/250/ pair of mono-blocked NAP110s and a pair of IcePower AS200 monoblocks. If you're looking for a 102 this is a 102 on steroids with more of everything (in spades). Feel free to PM me.

Have not heard the 32.5, but I have a 72/HC and used this back in 2006 as well. Compared to the 102/HC i feel that the 72 is more organic and the music flows better. Simply put, a more enjoyable pre. Source back then was Cds2/xps or Phonosophie p3/aro/Dynavector D3.

The 72 is a great little preamp. It is not highly detailed or hifi'sh but just lets the music flow organically. I don't care for the 102 or 82; I wouldn't bother with them and go straight to the 52 if I wanted to upgrade. (I've used a 72, 82 and 52).

Personally I'd stick with the 32.5 and forget about a remote.

Doesn’t Ryan Sound Labs make remote controlled (volume only) boards for the 72? That’s what I’d go for if I wanted to get an olive stack with remote controlled preamp again.

The 72 is a great little preamp. It is not highly detailed or hifi'sh but just lets the music flow organically. I don't care for the 102 or 82; I wouldn't bother with them and go straight to the 52 if I wanted to upgrade. (I've used a 72, 82 and 52).

Personally I'd stick with the 32.5 and forget about a remote.
Agreed. The 52 is a very good preamp, but so is a Supercapped 32.5/72, more engaging than any PSU(s) on an 82. I bought a Supercap as a stepping stone to a 52 but just enjoyed it with the 32.5 instead.

Thanks for all the updates and advice. I'm not necessarily looking to upgrade the pre-amp as this is never likely to be a main system again - just one I'll listen to while I'm working. Based on that the easy options seem to be:
  1. Don't upgrade the 32.5 and instead use the streamer to give remote functions. Given I was going to get a streamer for that system anyway (the only source I have in that room at the moment is an Amazon Echo) then that seems sensible and I'm expecting a WiiM Pro to arrive today. I should have thought of that myself to be honest as recent experience with a WiiM amp in another room had me thinking I'd get a couple of their streamers for other systems.
  2. Get a cheap 102 and maybe look at power supply options. It'll match the look of my current kit (which is mostly green although a few bits are chrome bumper). Something like an 82 or above would be more than I'd want to spend on that system.
I'm doing option 1 for now and will see how I get on with that.

The system in that room at the moment is a bit of an odd one as it's pretty unbalanced with a very cheap source (Amazon Echo) into an Onix DNA-45 amp (which does have a remote although the remote volume control has never worked and given the problems getting it delivered then returning it for repair wasn't really an option) and then into very cheap speakers (very old and battered Rega Kytes). The room is a fair size (about 4.4m x 4.4m and was once used as a recording studio) so could do with bigger speakers.

If I can get the CD3.5 working again (which would be good as I liked it) then that'd likely trigger the pre-amp purchase. In the short term I'll dig around and see what spare CD players I've got and use that as a transport into the WiiM Pro.

Don't know about what’s available in your area AND I'm a big Naim fan but………

With both my Avondaled NAP 110 and my NAP 110 with Phoenix boards, I used to have a 32.5 with some Neil Jadman’s boards fed by a CB Hicap with an Avondale TPR4. I also tried this pre/hicap with my NAP 160 BD.

I must admit that this pre/Hicap setup was very very good but I wanted a remote so I tried a few other things.

I finally ended up with a Classé Audio CP 35 from the 90's to feed my NAP 110.

Surprisingly, all the famous Naim’s PRaT is still there, nothing missing in terms of dynamic and as a bonus, the sound is more open, organic and natural, the female voices and cymbals are now perfect.

I also didn’t lose any bass depth and slam Naim is known for as well.

I got this Classe Audio CP 35 on fleebay for $300.00 CDN, put new caps for another $50.00 CDN and this little and humble preamp really stopped my upgraditis.

As I said, I’m a big Naim fan but some times, the solution might be something else.

A "good" 102 is the bargain of the century at the moment . I needed a Naim amp to complete another setup and was looking at the selection currently on eBay . But a lucky purchase from a fellow pfr of a later 160k serial one owner from new 102 is proving fantastic.
Used with my Avondale special Supercap Napsc its stonkingly good .
Just avoid the junk modified earlier ones.
A wee tip if you know what your doing , slacken the supporting screws inside and let the board float more ,rather than solid bolted .
£300 gets you a great pre amp solution bought wisely

SteveG, you have a highly trainable blond four legged friend that I’m sure will push buttons and turn knobs for minimal treats 😁

Remote controls require additional electronics; even if these circuits are independent of analog circuits, these new components increase the number of masses, whatever the level of engineering. It's practical in use. Simple preamplifiers are essential in the service of music.

I've been running the WiiM Pro into the existing set-up for a couple of days now and using it to give remote capabilities (including volume) is definitely a workable approach. It certainly takes away the thing I hate most about the DNA-45 that's currently in that system i.e. the terrible ergonomics and pretty much useless remote.

advertisement

Back