advertisement

Which MM cartridge?

I run a 740ML currently (and previously a 530EN) and anything above about 250pf total sounds thin and edgy.

PS I also have an old Empire REX440 CD4 cartridge which requires 150pf max.
Yes, CD-4 is what started cartridge makers on the path toward reduced coil inductance (and amp makers toward reduced input capacitance on phono). For Empire, this was a slow process, with most of their IM models requiring 400 - 500pF.

Last edited:
I forgot to add that my bastardised P77 with revised suspension and hyper elliptical tip now tracks at 1.1-1.2 grams in my Ittok as opposed to the original A &R rec. of 1.8 grams. That plus the correct (for me) capacitance (400-450pF) means we are talking about two different cartridges I guess. I also have 2 unused spare retipped assemblies so they should see me out. Rather than boring I would call it more believable than my previous Escoed Troika, equally as good a tracker and much more expressive in the bass. So I’ve gone backwards.

I like the old classic carts, such as the Technics EPC-U205 with a Jico SAS/B stylus, or the AT20SS/AT20SLa.
The AT20SS is my preferred option, but the SLa stylus can still be bought for a reasonable price.

I have tried various MM in the past, such as Shure M55e, 2M Black, various Nagaoka and Audio Technica.
I keep the AT150mlx in preference over the 2M Black and the Shure M55 with a Jico SAS/B stylus.

I agree with the comments about the Music Maker. I have a Classic, and it is a wonderful cartridge.

MusicMaker was a modified Grado Reference ABS still in production

I am using one of a number of prototype MusicMasters' with Sapphire cantilever & silver coils as len wrote he was using me as a Guinea pig (again), it is true Len acquired the rights to the Grado body from Joe Grado, all of the internals' were of Lens' design & making which I saw with my own eyes with my MusicMaker 2. I did ask Len why use the utilitarian looking Grado since people expect better looking/designed bodies for the money; he told me he used it because, despite having spent thousands on other examples the Grado had the least resonance of any he tried.

I once asked Len what he would use if he did not make his own his instant reply London Decca.

advertisement

Back