advertisement

Which 'mirror-less'?

Anex

Señor Member
I like the look of these 'mirror-less' cameras. The X100 looks very nice as it works like an actual camera with an aperture ring & stuff, but you can't change the lens and I don't think I want a camera which is stuck at 35mm equiv.

The X10 also looks pretty snazzy but afaics doesn't have an aperture ring. Olympus, Pentax, Nikon etc. all seem to be foraying into this market sector, but all have flaws - piddly little sensors, no view finder, no proper controls...

Is there a digi camera out there which is like an old skool camera with aperture ring, shutter and ISO dials, interchangeable lenses and not the price of a Leica? Or do I need to wait a while? £500 max really, it'd be a 'carry around'.

So no one has an opinion on any of these cameras? I find that hard to believe.:confused:

I am interested in the future of these cameras. I feeling if I wait till they bring out a model that suits my needs. At the moment I sticking to what I have, or its change for the sake of change. By waiting the camera makers in time do bring out a camera you like.

Yes, I'm just not sure how long they're going to take...
I suppose I could get used to not having full manual control, as long as changing straight forward things like aperture didn't involve paging through menus, but I don't know which one to get as they all seem to have pluses and minuses which just aren't issues with film cameras. If the X100 had a 50 - 75 ish mm lens, that would do fine.

I think you may be missing the point of the X100. With these "Leica" type cameras its a different type of photography to that of a DSLR. You plan the shot before hand and use zonal focusing etc etc like you would with an M8 or M9. Its very discreet so you can take pictures without people knowing. Also you have a 35mm prime lens which will give much better results than any zoom lens will. If you want interchangeability of lenses then buy a DSLR as this will give you flexibility.

With the X100 you can get very near M8/M9 performance for less than £1000 which makes it very good value for money as well as a really nice camera to use. Best to get along to a photographic shop and handle one as it might not be what you are looking for. Also don't expect it to be as easy to use as a DSLR because it does take some getting use too if you haven't been used to a range-finder type camera before.

I think you may be missing the point of the X100. With these "Leica" type cameras its a different type of photography to that of a DSLR. You plan the shot before hand and use zonal focusing etc etc like you would with an M8 or M9. Its very discreet so you can take pictures without people knowing. Also you have a 35mm prime lens which will give much better results than any zoom lens will. If you want interchangeability of lenses then buy a DSLR as this will give you flexibility.

With the X100 you can get very near M8/M9 performance for less than £1000 which makes it very good value for money as well as a really nice camera to use. Best to get along to a photographic shop and handle one as it might not be what you are looking for. Also don't expect it to be as easy to use as a DSLR because it does take some getting use too if you haven't been used to a range-finder type camera before.

I'm quite happy using a rangefinder, it just has the wrong length lens on it. I'd use a 28mm as a 'second' lens, but it's too short for my every day needs. Although having said that, it still looks to be the best of the bunch, but I'm also interested in the X10.
It being a rangefinder doesn't mean it can't have interchangeable lenses.

Problem with the X100 is it's overpriced, it isn't a rangefinder (manual focusing on it is bloody awful, frankly), and the lens is the wrong length.

I have a Sony NEX 3. No viewfinder, but it takes old lenses via adapters, and the flip up screen means you can use it a bit like a TLR. I use mine with a couple of old Pentax manual lenses, it works pretty well. Good APS-C sized sensor, and they're now superseded by later models, so quite cheap.

it isn't a rangefinder (manual focusing on it is bloody awful, frankly)

Yes I just read that; the X10 is the same by the looks of it. They need to make their minds up what these cameras are for 'cause a viewfinder which has no focus feedback is a pretty token viewfinder.

Perhaps an adaptor ring is the way to go.

I also have a GF-1 with the view finder. Probably V. cheap s/h now. Lots of adaptors available. It's takes a fairly trad approach to photography. Personally, I take the LX over any of these, but I don't care about hardware, at least as far as stills are concerned, movies are another matter - I make money from those...

I've had one of the Panasonics before and didn't get on with it. I just found manual operations were far too difficult. Generally if I can only use a camera in auto mode without a lot of playing around, I end up not taking it out and use my phone instead.
Is the viewfinder 'coupled' (if that's what it's called) to the focusing on the GF1?

I haven't tried a Panasonic, but manual focusing on the NEX 3 screen is pretty good, provided you're not in direct sunlight.

IME, what's most important is what you feel most comfortable with. The label on the camera is not important.

Yeah of course. I don't think I'm loyal to any particular brand, I'm just interested in what gets me closest to the operation of my film cameras.

Buy a used Leica M8 then. That way you have all the choice of Leica/Zeiss glass you could ever want.

I just gave my GF1 to my daughter - the X100 is in a complete different league and in every respect plus the quality of the image is sublime. Its not perfect - no camera is but is does deliver great images and is a joy to use. If you want proper manual focus then buy something else. It also has a proper sized sensor unlike the X10 and a lot of other mirrorless cameras. Personally I would never buy a camera without a viewfinder again.

advertisement

Back