advertisement

Which Kit?

davidjt

pfm Member
Rather a tall order, but if you don't ask........

I've decided that my next kit build will be a valve power amp and have narrowed the choice down to either the World Designs KT88XL or the Elekit TV8600SVK.
If anyone happens to have heard or built either (or more likely the previous incarnation of the Elekit) or both, any pointers would be much appreciated. TIA

Two very different amps if I am looking at the right Elekit. I have a WD88VA (on loan at the moment) and while it is really very good (especially with ESLs) it is not very sterotypically 300Bish if that is what you are looking for.

Yes, I realize they're different. It's going to be a leap in the dark and a fairly big outlay which is why other peoples' impressions may be useful. I'm using a hefty Meridian to drive my '57s at the moment - it does the job but seems somehow less involving than either of the solid state Pass amps used previously.

If you have 57s then the WD one would be my choice, from my experience with 63s. As good as the Elekit might be with the right speakers I don't think it would have enough output in this case from the specs.

Good point. I'd assumed that 2 bottles the size of the 300B would be adequate - reminiscent of the 807s I played with at school.

I might have had to buy new speakers.:D

A point to bear in mind - 300Bs are becoming somewhat expensive nowadays! There are many varieties of KT88 at sensible prices.
I have built several WD88 for people and can recommend it. It will drive ESL57 very well.

John

How about a Dynakit clone ST-70? Really classic design but lots of options for upgraded buffers and stuff. IIRC there's at least 3 companies offering full kits with or without tubes. Some sticking closer to the original design and some with more modern test points, connectors, etc.

Interesting. I've got plenty of time to read up on these - OTL reviews seem to be a bit thin on the ground. First (obvious) thought would be: if OTLs really are superior, why would anyone ever bother with big heavy expensive OTs?
There are so many different topologies that a practice run on a cheap Douk amp would tell me nothing about the sound of a Dynakit or WD.
It's looking like a leap in the dark, but it won't be the first one and probably not the last.

Interesting. I've got plenty of time to read up on these - OTL reviews seem to be a bit thin on the ground. First (obvious) thought would be: if OTLs really are superior, why would anyone ever bother with big heavy expensive OTs?

Because no one has managed to design an SET OTL amp (I think that might be impossible). So OTL has to be push/pull, which is not 'as good' as SET (YMMV). OTL amps have a reputation for being unstable and destroying speakers, the Transcendent designer has stuck with the topology for maybe 20 years+ and his latest designs have protection fuses, minimal components and stability problems appear to be a thing of the past. However, THD is not the lowest and I'm not sure why that is. Maybe this is just a product of the number of valves that are required. I've got the build manual for the Pinnacles if you're interested. Very easy to follow.

If there's a speaker that will test the stability of any amp then your 57's might well be it, perhaps drop the Transcendent chap an email

I'm very tempted to build one of those myself, although 1% THD is a worry

Going back a step, I wouldn't let 1% THD put you off. I love my little Pass ACAs (as does Steve Guttenberg for whatever that's worth) and yet ASR suggested that given the spec they were hardly worth reviewing. Nelson has investigated various types of harmonic distortion and concluded that it's largely a matter of taste.
(I always cook with the best ingredients available, but then add a lot of herbs and spices.)

advertisement

Back