advertisement

Which Is The Best Or Most Costly Cartridge You've Used On A Rega Deck

ryder

pfm Member
I have not tried many but the Audio Technica AT33PTG is the most costly cart I've used on a Rega P5. My previous cart, a Denon DL-103 could not match the Audio Technica in areas of detail, separation, openness and dynamics. Due to a mishap, a cheap Ortofon replaced the AT33PTG. However, the sound quality of the Ortofon is no match for the AT33PTG.

Anybody tried the following cartridges below on the mid-level Rega decks?

- Benz Micro MC Gold
- Clearaudio Maestro Wood (MM)

I missed the opportunity to own the Maestro Wood at a very good price.

Which is the best sounding out of the lot? AT33PTG, MC Gold or Maestro Wood?

Any opinions appreciated.

FWIW, I went from an AT33PTG to an Ortofon 2M Blue. I supposed I lost something, but can't be bothered to go looking for it. Sounds just fine. Tonearm is an SMEIV

apheta and Benz glider
both sound fabulous to me, with the apheta just edging it in the overall enjoyable stakes.

Thanks for the responses. The Apheta looks interesting.

By the way, the Ortofon cart that I have now is the lowest in the range, the OM series I believe. It was donated to me since the owner had got a better cart for his TT setup.

The old rule that said throw as much cash as possible at the TT and spend whats left on the cartridge is seriously flawed, because IMO the effects of cheap cartridges on music are pretty dire. I've always favoured some balance with a vinyl front end and so would say there is no real limit as what you can put on a P5. The important bit is understanding how the different parts of the completer vinyl player contribute to the final result.

Really good TTs bring a sense of stability, focus and sure-footedness to the sound, and you can certainly hear the effect of a high end TT through a cheap cartridge.
Really good cartridges bring low distortion, evenness, dynamics and fine detail to the party, so the question as to the cartridge/TT budget split should in some way reflect your priorities.
You can of course have both but that still costs serious money.

Applying that to the meat of your question, a high end cartridge on a P5 is likely to sound super clean, detailed and pure but ultimately lacking solidity and drive.

When talking about high end cartridges I'm talking the likes of VDH, Dynavector and Lyra, not some old Denon 103 stuck into a fancy body with a high premium slapped on top.

I use a DV Te Kaitora Rua on P9 and couldn't be happier, tbh. Easily the best combination I've ever run. The TKR took over from the DV17D2s and 3s I'd been using for the previous ten years, which lose out a little in treble refinement, but don't need a VTA spacer, as they're exactly the same depth as the Rega carts.

Robert's final point sounds right to me though - you might need something a little warmer on a P5.

The glider or a DV20X would suit the 5 very well I would imagine. The dyna being a tad 'darker' sounding than the glider. Phono stage dependent.

Anyone tried Dynavector XX2 on P9 or P7? I'm tempted to it try myself at some point. Some of the Shelter or ZYX carts seem to be interesting too.

Now using Apheta which is better than AT33PTG I used before. Still maybe not 100% happy as much as I love the drive of the Apheta.

Anyone tried Dynavector XX2 on P9 or P7? I'm tempted to it try myself at some point. Some of the Shelter or ZYX carts seem to be interesting too.

Now using Apheta which is better than AT33PTG I used before. Still maybe not 100% happy as much as I love the drive of the Apheta.

Actually I´m using a P5 + TT PSU + Groovetracer Ref Suplatter + Acrylic Platter... my cartridge is Dyn XX2 MKII... AMAZING!!!!...:D

Actually I´m using a P5 + TT PSU + Groovetracer Ref Suplatter + Acrylic Platter... my cartridge is Dyn XX2 MKII... AMAZING!!!!...:D
Nice :cool:. Did you need any spacers for fitting the cart in to Rega arm and what phono stage are you using? I have not heard a bad word on that cart and people seem to be using that in many different decks with good results.

I use a DV Te Kaitora Rua on P9 and couldn't be happier.
That is supposed to be a match made in heaven and I hope to get there one day. At the moment i'm running a DV20x2L on a P9 and it is a massive step up from my previous deck (P3-24/TTPSU/Elys2)

That is supposed to be a match made in heaven and I hope to get there one day. At the moment i'm running a DV20x2L on a P9 and it is a massive step up from my previous deck (P3-24/TTPSU/Elys2)
Hmm. So it's quite safe to say that most of the Dynavector carts work very well with Rega arms.

Nice :cool:. Did you need any spacers for fitting the cart in to Rega arm and what phono stage are you using? I have not heard a bad word on that cart and people seem to be using that in many different decks with good results.

Yes... for Dynavector carts I have used one 2mm spacer. My phono stage is a Pass Aleph Ono...:)

Well, if upper range Dynavectors work on Regas why shouldn't Koetsu's ? Can't wait to hear from the brave guy who announces he is using his Rega with a Urushi. Might sound rather fine.

advertisement

Back