advertisement

Which impedance Beyer headphones? 32 / 80 / 250 ohms?

uncl_nigel

pfm Member
I have been looking at Beyer headphones (pro range DT770, 880, 990) because they are about the only affordable ones that go around not on top of my ears.

They seem to be available in three different impedances, which would be best? I intend to use the headphones mainly on the iMac or Windows laptop.

Have you considered asking a vendor of these products. They should know more about these devices than most of us here.

The 32 ohm version will be best for your use. The 250 ohm version will be better with a dedicated headphone amp with more power to drive it properly.

Beware that a common mode of failure I've seen with the DT770s is that the cord grip doesn't stop the cable rotating inside the can whereby it pulls itself from the drive units inside. I've seen sound and video editors ruin these within 6 months. Admittedly they take them on and off a few times a day but the assembly isn't replaceable.

I use a DT800 600 ohm in the office with a dedicated headphone amp/DAC made by Asus called Essence One. I have not listened to the 32 or 250 ohm version. I read in the internet that the 600 ohm sounds very slightly better which made me buying this model. I have to turn the volume knob nearly 11 o'clock position to get a decent volume.

The 32 ohm version will be best for your use. The 250 ohm version will be better with a dedicated headphone amp with more power to drive it properly.

More voltage, to be pedantic, same power. Low impedances are best for battery powered devices, which can't swing many volts at the output.

I have been looking at Beyer headphones (pro range DT770, 880, 990) because they are about the only affordable ones that go around not on top of my ears.

They seem to be available in three different impedances, which would be best? I intend to use the headphones mainly on the iMac or Windows laptop.

I have a DT880 in the 250 ohm version, and it's fairly device friendly, but you will have to turn up the volume occasionally. I'd suggest the 32 ohm 880 without a DAC for your laptop. The only component I own with a headphone jack is a NAD 1050 Dac. It has a so-so built-in phone amp that I use with an iMac, and it's decent. Straight into a laptop it's not as good, but very likely better than the 600 ohm model. Where the 250 really falls down is in something like a TV headphone jack; you then have to crank the volume to get a decent level. I bought a set of demo Incase phones for laptop and TV listening and leave the Beyer with the iMac/Dac. If I'd purchased the 32 ohm 880 I'd use it with everything.

If stationary use I would definately choose a dedicated HP amp and get the higher ohms Beyers.
Good dac/amps and HP need not to be overly expensive IMO, I think some people listen with their wallet.

I faced a choice a couple of years back and choosed some DT250 (250 ohm) because I found them slightly more neutral and well balanced than the rather detailed analytic DT 770/990 which have a confusing Pro range too.
DT 150 are very good too but people laugh at the looks, they are stunningly good value and many proff studios swear to them. DT 150/250 are bargain priced by Thomann. I prefer closed cans and would take DT250/150 anyday over Sennheiser 600/650 of which I have owned both. Thats just my personal opinion and surely others will differ.

I had DT 880 (600 ohm) but they were just sort of too heavy or tight sweating for my head in the long run, remarkable good sound though (amplified)

Thank you all - comfort is important the initial use will be watching films on the Mac.
Sight is going from pretty bad to worse so I am giving up on the porjector and 2.4m screen.

One of the most comfortable wearing I've tried were the Audioquest Night...

Koss porta Pro another very comfy

advertisement

Back