advertisement

Which (if any) of your components are ‘end game’

Which (if any) of your components are endgame?

• Speakers

Votes: 167 59.2%
  • Power amp

Votes: 93 33.0%
  • Pre amp

Votes: 83 29.4%
  • Integrated amp

Votes: 55 19.5%
  • Turntable

Votes: 132 46.8%
  • Phono stage

Votes: 68 24.1%
  • Cartridge

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • DAC

Votes: 56 19.9%
  • Streamer

Votes: 43 15.2%
  • CD

Votes: 61 21.6%

• Total voters
Probably my Jolida Music Envoys. I bought them ex dem twelve years ago and they still amaze me. I use my NCC300s for casual listening only firing up the Jolidas when I feel the need for some sit down listening. We also have two hifi systems, one up and one down. We’re considering a move soon and I’m pretty sure one system will have to go. That will hurt as I’ve a lot of kit that I’m very much attached to but whatever happens I’ll be doing my best to hang on to the Jolidas.

For me the endgame is the Zu Druid V with Zu Event II speaker cable using the Speakon connector.
Doesn't matter what source or amplification, they just have me engaged every time I listen.

Main source is You Tube through a Rotel RA820B Integrated amp.

For me the endgame is the Zu Druid V with Zu Event II speaker cable using the Speakon connector.
Always good to find another Zu enthusiast. We are pretty rare in the UK. Still love my MKIVs. In this room they're end-game (with a pair of Genelecs for contrast).

I can still get my hardware to work, though ... especially when the ads at the top of PFM look like this ... make me feel 20 again.
Oe27I59l.jpg

Sorry, I need cheering up as I have a bout of "man cold" - for the first time in a year.

On a more serious note. Here is my hifi.

First what I have presently.

Then what I would like to buy before I give up the ghost.

Then the few pieces that I will eventually move on.

My kit:
(1) AD Audio Satchmo + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + Paradise/Tron Sig. MM
* Vinyl:
PTP6 Lenco 75 Acoustand + Poul Ladegaard air-bearing tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research Fr24 mk ii / Decca Super Gold
* Streaming:
Win10 Fanless PC + JRiver MediaCenter + Nuforce U192s + Paul Pang usb splitter cable + 5v Linear PSU, LM 502CA DAC

(2) Leak Stereo 70 / FirstWatt F4 + Thorens TD 135 + BTD12s + Decca Maroon + Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico open baffle speakers

(3) Sansui AU-2200 + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 (tape) + Thorens TD110 + PC+ESI Juli@ sound card + Dynaudio Contour I mk. II

(4) Michell Argo HD + LBM mk i (+ sub(s)): (a) television w. Google Chromecast and TV-Box, (B) Small PC (with silent fan) + Topping D10s (3) DVD / CD replay

Wanted list: Ortofon SPU E or S (Thorens 135) - Leak ST 20 - Mørch UP 4 / DP6 - Thorens TD 150/160 Super (replace TD 110) - Quad QC24 or a vintage pre with MM riaa - MC Step-Up Ortofon MCA10/MCA76 - RIAA for livingroom - B&O 1202 / 1700-1800 / 4004 / 6000 (for the livingroom) Subwoofer(s)

Going eventually: London Decca Gold (I still have one left), FirstWatt F4 (x2), Thorens TD 110 (to daughter), Leak Stereo 70 (to daughter)

The more I listen to it and maybe getting through the burning in period, my Naim NAP 110 with Phoenix boards is an end game amp for me.

The game never ends for me lol. It isn’t about getting better for me, if it is then, great! But the ADHD in me is constantly seeking new or unexpected experiences in the system. At some point even obsessive. There are few keepers as voted - mainly power amp and turntable at the moment. I like to experiment with speakers and cartridges.

My Rega P2 turntable and Arcam CD93T CD player were both gifts and will never be replaced. I am very happy with both.

I have ATC SCM7 speakers which I thought would be endgame but one, annoyingly, has developed a mysterious and unprompted fault recently which has made me reflect on whether I want to keep money tied up in ATC speakers, which command a significant premium, I assumed for reliability.

I have concluded that is what the hobby is for me; finding things that don't irritate. So the things I will keep or directly replace are the Ortofon Cadenza Blue and the Audio Note M2/P2SE Phono amp. The WT Amadeus GTa sounds unbeatable but that string and gloop irritates so sooner or later The Technics G will follow.

Finally I have tried a lot of very well liked speakers (Briks, Quad 56, Ditton 66, Neat) and keep returning to the EPOS ES14, this pair has the upgraded tweeter so hasn't been sold due to irritating treble. However it does irritate because it is a very modest speaker and surely something is out there can do what this does and costs more? :)

I have concluded that is what the hobby is for me; finding things that don't irritate. So the things I will keep or directly replace are the Ortofon Cadenza Blue and the Audio Note M2/P2SE Phono amp. The WT Amadeus GTa sounds unbeatable but that string and gloop irritates so sooner or later The Technics G will follow.

Finally I have tried a lot of very well liked speakers (Briks, Quad 56, Ditton 66, Neat) and keep returning to the EPOS ES14, this pair has the upgraded tweeter so hasn't been sold due to irritating treble. However it does irritate because it is a very modest speaker and surely something is out there can do what this does and costs more? :)
The vintage Epos 14 and 11 are so good that no matter the budget or technology, they are very difficult to beat IMO.
I witnessed many people getting rid of them and buying back another pair 5, 10 or 20 years later so if I was you, I would keep them.

The vintage Epos 14 and 11 are so good that no matter the budget or technology, they are very difficult to beat IMO.
I witnessed many people getting rid of them and buying back another pair 5, 10 or 20 years later so if I was you, I would keep them.
I am that very man! I bought them back three times over 25 years. They work so well with an Audio Note SET amp albeit a reasonably powerful one.

I always thought that gloop was messy and a magnet for dust and other items stirred up when using a record brush. The lack of a dust cover doesn’t helps things.

advertisement

Back