advertisement

which HiFi companies make simple, good value products?

Qacoustic speakers with NVA Starter System should leave about £1k for the front end or spend more on the amps and less on the front end.

For me too Tisbury, Rega, Avondale, Q Acoustics etc... If you want real value for money look for T-amps.
A bit more exotic but very good vfm are Abrahamsen and Lab12.

I have always liked Creek amps.

I used have a 4330 and now have a 50A amp.

When they first started they catered to the student market - so needed to be good value.

Also they built their amps smaller than many others - easy for students to transport from home etc.

Their amps are still pretty small. I have my equipment on a bookshelf - the Creek 50A fits nicely.

90% of the population would think £1500 for a single item of hi fi to be utterly ludicrous extravagance.
Yet would happily fork over £1500 extra for leather seats or a slightly faster engine in their car. Or pay the same amount for a year of sky. It's all about priorities.

To answer the OP Rega is a standout. Cyrus used to be, though I've not heard any of their newer offerings. Arcam seem relatively foo free.

Belles
NovaFidelity
Exposure
Cambridge Audio
NAD

I forgot to add Beresford. If you want a bargain, try his DAC’s.

Anyone who is saying, Linn, Naim, Bose or Sonos is living in a completely different reality to me clearly. None of their stuff is good value, you are paying well over the odds for the name.

I forgot to add Beresford. If you want a bargain, try his DAC’s.

Anyone who is saying, Linn, Naim, Bose or Sonos is living in a completely different reality to me clearly. None of their stuff is good value, you are paying well over the odds for the name.
Now you’ve done it! Wait for the return of a certain party reminding us that as a used to buy they are virtually unbeatable! Rolls Royce have the same used sales appeal I believe.

I see a lot of gear so far that I'd also cast a vote for -- Rega, Exposure, Cambridge (less so).

I'd add LFD to the list but not only are their prices banging on the roof, they've latched firmly onto Foo --nobody got time for that.

Have to give Leema a shoutout here, excellent company to deal with.

Also worth a mention are many already mentioned Rega, Roksan, Creek and Primaluna.

Musical Fidelity use to be fantastic, not sure how that will be under the Project flag.

I think for £1,500 one could purchase brand new a Pre & Power Emotiva amps (with good basic power output, basic DAC and even radio included! ) and buy a decent second hand speakers.

Hifi has largely become an expensive game compared to a decade or so ago. It's always been possible to spend loads of money but there used to be a buoyant market for cheaper products. As hifi has become more of a niche that's disappearing. Even Rega's entry level turntables are quite pricey nowadays, and they now make a few too many "statement" products for my liking. They're still among the best of the affordable brands though, outside of Japanese makers like Yamaha and Denon.

advertisement

Back