advertisement

Which caps to replace in a Naim 62

it is indeed RobD, everyone's ears/ tastes are different.

It could fall into 2 camps: those that like the direct naim sound & want to keep it, but tinker around it (me); & perhaps those that find the directness too much (why they chose a naim then is curious to me) & want to substitute it for a smoothingof the sound, aiming for max detail in the process.

Btw, the first mod I'd do (no caps involved) is the 'Linnik xmas mod'. Simply put you just lift the neg leg of the 321 feedback cap and run a wire directly to the gnd star: basically its a 'cleaner' route for it to take, without going via xyz with all the other board's gnds.. easy- and quite an eye opener to get the diy bug in full swing!

well in theory you can do it to every component, but as I said the gain stage feedback cap is where its at- especially evident with this mod- ie I noticed no difference subsequently trying the same to the pwrail decup cap; so I'd hazzard a guess to the 323 mc will give a very marginal improvement.. but prove me wrong- my ears are full of wax anyway.

linnik applied the same idea to as many components as poss. the results/pic was simply hilarious (can't find it now).

I believe the 323 has a feedback cap..? If so, then Linnik's mod is definitely worth a try on that component. The rest will quickly hit the law of diminishing returns.

I looked at the relative magnitude of earth currents from each leg here (post #119). I subsequently did the highest four legs. Well worth the effort.

The whole thread is a beauty, although Linnik's preamp photo doesn't seem to be around now. And it was Christmas then too.

David

A bit of a tenuous link, but my question just about fits with this thread.

As a complete beginner with a Nac62 with S and N boards, I thought I may try doing something with the N boards first. One of them may have an intermittent fault anyway, it sometimes distorts after 5 mins.

I have some BC128s. Oscon 56uf 25v, Wima 3.3uf 50v and Evox 2.2uf 63v are available from Farnell.

Hopefully below is a link to a picture of the NA328/2 variable output N boards:-
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo191/chrisn_05/NA3282.jpg

The question is what can I try doing with the boards using cap and earthing modifications?
Can I use them as a MM input?

Chris N

The question is what can I try doing with the boards using cap and earthing modifications?

Nothing...put them in the back of a cupboard and forget about them. They were intended for matching the input to the early CD players, but are generally recognized as having disastrous effects on sound quality.

And they are no use as phono cards.

Sorry to sound so negative but they are truly awful....

If you want a MM input then you need the 322 cards, then you can go to town with the cap changes.

Thanks Neil, fair advice.

What about the S boards I am using?

In the recent phono stage project pictures of the S boards looked quite different from mine.

advertisement

Back