advertisement

Which cable configuration is ‘shotgun’?

Convention. I have never heard of the term "shotgun plug" being used
No, fair enough. It does seem slightly illogical that somebody would feel the need to invent a term for a standard 'parallel twin' run of cable which is terminated the same at both ends, but there doesn't seem to be a name for the other configuration I mentioned [ie: a)] despite it being easier to describe if it did have a name. Hence why I had assumed 'shotgun' meant something other than the vanilla option.

I have read the term used in the context of of wiring up a four core cable, e.g. Mogami 2972

Perhaps their is enough confusion that we could rewrite the definitions. How about '14 gauge pump-action shotgun' for 4-core Mogami, or 'buck-shot pump-action' for bi-wired 4-core:confused:

So anybody got any ideas what (if any) term would be correct to use to describe a cable terminated as a).?

I don’t think there is a term for the configuration you describe as A. My understanding is that shotgun describes one cable where the positive and return run side by side and the term is really used just to make it clear they are not twisted together. If there is a term for A it’s something like ‘two to four’. ‘Official’ terms that describe cable construction usually refer to the cable rather than a construction made from cables.

Shotgun ( originally for speaker cable) is :- a double run of cable, terminated into a single connection at both the speaker and amp ends.

Whoa a varied response! I’ve always known shotgun construction as using any standard figure 8 pattern cable, where the two conductors are run parallel to each other. This gives low capacitance and moderate inductance vs. twisting, litz, ribbon etc, which will give higher capacitance and lower inductance.

Some shotgun cable is more spaced than others, like Van Damme HiFi.

I recall a time when spaced pairs like Naim A4 were referred to as 'dumbbell' wire over here.

dumbbell-exercise-vintage.jpg

Whoa a varied response! I’ve always known shotgun construction as using any standard figure 8 pattern cable, where the two conductors are run parallel to each other. This gives low capacitance and moderate inductance vs. twisting, litz, ribbon etc, which will give higher capacitance and lower inductance.

Some shotgun cable is more spaced than others, like Van Damme HiFi.

I see Van Damme describe that cable as being shotgun on their site.

I have just plugged in a new low (ish) cost pair of that general configuration with the capacitance/inductance considerations in mind to try out (based on a bit of a guess as the measurements were not available - I did not know the term shotgun at the time of ordering). Naim recommends low capacitance/moderate inductance for their older amps (like NACA5), but others on PFM have suggested it is not usually that critical (on 'Mogami 3104 speaker cable with Naim' thread).

Whatever the shape, I am very much enjoying a session with them. Much bigger than the A5, but I was relieved that they bend easier (at least in one orientation).

20230706_204922 by artoly the second, on Flickr

Locheeboy has it right, I’m old enough to remember the early days of this “technology.” Ha…

Ah wrote a follow-up tae my post above but musta forgot tae post reply. Figure of eight is not shotgun cable , 2-4 is not shotgun cable, any combination of the above, is not shotgun cable. MIT invented/developed “shotgun cable”, early eighties (approx). As I described above, it is ,or can be, two parallel cables or two separate cables. Both the cables are terminated in a single connection at each end of the pair of cables. Two cables into one connector. Ah cannot be any clearer but if some folk want tae persist in their wrong assumption, then feel free tae bask in yer ignorance. Smilies are not working so ah cannot soften ma comments…https://mitcables.com/
May not be on the website as it’s old cable. Audiogon or such sites had many posts on the subject, years ago.

advertisement

Back