advertisement

Which brand of Capacitors do Naim use?

Don't solder them in!!! That's a stupid suggestion. Maybe it's needed if you start shaking the preamp upside down, but that doesn't really happen in my household. Doesn't make it "sound better" either, even if you use ****y branded solder. And how will you service or repair it when it's all soldered in place?

Spend a bit of time cleaning the contacts and gently poking the spring contacts to make them a bit grippier (like when new) and it will be just fine.

Agreed.

I've had a 32.5 and a 72 and had no problems with the boards rattling around. Why on earth would that happen? There is no point soldering them in place, that seems a peculiar idea at best.

Elna Silmic IIs seem to be widely available on ebay. Might give them a shot

Don't buy them from ebay - they're nearly all fakes!

Of the ones currently listed at least half aren't even in the correct colours!

Fake???
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=361354189828

A real one looks like this

The maroon and gold livery is the old non RoHS type which would now be very old stock indeed. The maroon and white is the current livery.

Don't think they've ever been black and gold but somebody may know differently.

I'd buy from HiFi collective. They may be a bit expensive but you know you're getting the real deal.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Had a look at Hifi collective - wow what an Emporium!

Had a bit of a breakthrough today. I used to have a NAC72 with RSL boards, hicap, and modded 180. Front end was a PC and DACMagic. Speakers Kudos Super 20. Was a truly wonderful System, loved it. I took over my father's CDS2, 82, hicap and 135s recently, but was disappointed on two Counts - one in comparison to how the System sounded at home in the UK with SBLs and two in comparison to the RSL 72 System above. At first I used both hicaps, which seemed to make up a lot of the difference, but still something missing. Added DTC3 this week, and was suprised, but still not really bowled over.

On a Chance yesterday, I stopped by at a local hifi store to get a Furutech Rodium Schuko mains plug (used on the Continental hiline) to replace the crabtree plug and travel Adapter i have been using on the end of my Hydra (came with the 82 System). Low and behold, powering up the System again all the mojo of my previous System is back plus loads more! Unbelievable difference. Even my Family have been having fun playing their favourite tracks this afternoon! That 70 euros was a right bargain!!

Have the polipod feet on order too, so let's see what happens there too.

Travel adaptor is never going to be ideal so investment in a proper schuko plug is probably a sensible move. Not sure it really needs to cost 70 Euros though, ouch!

I put in proper ring main extension for my kit with MK sockets and it all runs of that. The pairs of 135's each have a two head hydra.

I've never been convinced there's much in the special plugs & leads malarkey personally, but a clear bad connection eliminated must be a winner.

The difference was so profound that it cannot only be due to the plug I think; I reckon either earth was not connected through the travel adaptor or live and neutral were swapped. We have all been repeatedly stunned again today. I was beginning to wonder what all the hype about CDS2 was about before- now I know!!

I had a similar experience, however it was in my case down to a poor contact on the 250 iEC plug. It felt as if there was a good contact, ie quite stiff to insert, however this was due to interference between the plug and socket plastic housings. The actual connectors were really loose. Worth checking out on all these connectors.

L & N swap wouldn't make any difference, but no real earth reference would be really shitty in a Naim system. Some travel adaptors are really flaky on earthing.

advertisement

Back