advertisement

Which 80s pop classics have surprisingly stood the test of time?

tiggers

pfm Member
For those of us in our late forties/early fifties our adolescence was spent in the 1980s listening to all that lovely 80s pop music. I liked much of it at the time, but only some of it remains listened to in my collection today. However, every now and then I get to hear a song that I had sort of dismissed in my head only to realise it's still a very good pop record to coin a phrase from the time.

For instance take Tears for Fears, I never liked Songs from the Big Chair that much preferring their follow up and had sort of expunged anything prior to that from them from my mind, but yesterday I listened to The Hurting for the first time in many years and Mad World still stands up as a beautifully crafted pop song even now.

Anyone else have any pop songs from the decade that they still listen to and think are nailed on classics (outside of the Into the Groove/Blue Monday etc. accepted 80s pop trailblazers)?

Aztec Camera: ‘Walk into winter’, ‘working in a goldmine’

Blancmange - ‘living on the ceiling’

Lots of 80s music stands up far better than 90s britpop which has dated quicker than anything else I can think of.

Good call on Aztec Camera and Walk into Winter, I had forgotten about that song altogether.

To my mind the ‘80s pop is now long enough ago that it sounds period-correct rather than dated. Tons of great pop stuff, e.g. FGTH, Human League, Heaven 17, Soft Cell, Chic, Michael Jackson etc. Then there was the tier just a step removed from chart pop, e.g. Japan, Propaganda, OMD, The Cure, Grace Jones, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Happy Mondays, New Order, The The, Primal Scream, KLF, Orb etc. Loads of amazing music in the ‘80s scraped into the pop charts, though as ever there is tons best avoided. That rule applies to every decade, but even more so now where every genre has its own individual chart and distribution mechanism, so today’s ‘pop chart’ really is little more than children’s music.

To my mind the ‘80s pop is now long enough ago that it sounds period-correct rather than dated. Tons of great pop stuff, e.g. FGTH, Human League, Heaven 17, Soft Cell, Chic, Michael Jackson etc. Then there was the tier just a step removed from chart pop, e.g. Japan, Propaganda, OMD, The Cure, Grace Jones, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Happy Mondays, New Order, The The, Primal Scream, KLF, Orb etc. Loads of amazing music in the ‘80s scraped into the pop charts, though as ever there is tons best avoided. That rule applies to every decade, but even more so now where every genre has its own individual chart and distribution mechanism, so today’s ‘pop chart’ really is little more than children’s music.
There is a strong case for the 80's being one of the great decades. A lot of really good artists like, for example, Lloyd Cole managed to make a decent living whereby they are unable to now without constant touring.

Listened to Huey Lewis & The News - 'Sports' from 1983 (LP) the other day - first time in probably 25 years. The album had five big US hits, and holds up extremely well today. An excellent recording as well.

I loved some of the Arif Mardin produced stuff like this.
Records companies were creaming it selling their back catalogues on CD and also with new artists coming through. The stuff just sounds like it was produced in million dollar studios with lads that new their equipment (which was the case)

Tainted Love was one of the highest selling singles of the decade but, because the record company put another cover on the B side, they got no writing royalties. That was really shocking.

As someone already said, there are so many!
I like all those mentioned already.
Stranglers, Golden Brown
All singles from Peter Gabriel's So
Prince, When Doves Cry
A whole gaggle of Eurythmics singles
Same for INXS

The list is almost endless, a really prolific decade of music that still sounds fresh.
Let's face it, modern pop does not, generally, set a very high standard. When something well crafted does appear it's head and shoulders above the factory production line dross of very recent times.

There was plenty of dross towards the end of the 80's SAW put some utter crap out that seemed to fill the charts & made TOTP unwatchable. At least the good stuff keeps getting played even now.

advertisement

Back