advertisement

Whest Audio ps.30r vs Tom Evans The Groove

gerlando

Prog Rocker
Hello there,
did anyone ever compare these two phono stages?

Pros and cons, please!

Many thanks.
Mauro

I listened once to the Tom Evans Groove v Whest Audio PS.20 and preferred the Whest. PS.30 should be better again.

It depends on what you are going to match them with. The Groove is a lean sounding, very quick stage, the Whest a little more solid, but not as fleet of foot.

Which groove do you mean though. The micro X, micro plus X, groove anniversary, groove plus SRX or Mastergroove? That's a price range from £600 to £12000.

And you'd have to match the loading, not readily done on the Grooves without soldering. The Grooves plus is certainly not short of detail.

Fair question. It was an early version of the micro groove, similar price range as the Whest PS.20 + MSU.20 power supply. Few years ago now. I auditioned next to each other in my home. I did not intend to imply that the PS.30 was better than the more expensive Tom Evan's amps. That would be a separate comparison admittedly.

Si has compared the top Tom Evans design (whatever that is called, 'Groove Super Mega Plus' or similar) and felt the Paradise gave nothing away there. I also know of at least one other who moved from his Whest to a Paradise and couldn't be happier with the change.

I listened to both stages in my own system and chose the Leema Agena in preference. That's a stage that merits serious consideration at any price.

I tried it against the Master groove, Tom's top spec unit. There was nothing between them.

I think Mark was talking about me had a Whest 30 R which I had for 5 years using firstly with a Micro Benz Wood SL for 3.5 years and then with my current cartridge the Kiseki Blue NS.
The Whest as one of its attribute is very quiet on surface noise. After owning the Paradise lacks the emotion that this unit has. The Whest is very clinical it its presentation but I found the Paradise more open gives more of the music and makes you want to play LP after LP.

Regards,

Martin

advertisement

Back