advertisement

Where to stay in London

Paddington is a hotspot. I had my wallet lifted there in a cafe while eating.
I was having a coffee with a client a few months ago in Hatton Garden, stools in front of the window in Costa. Guy came and sat next to him in the next stool and took his backpack from down by his feet.

I’m forever telling people in coffee shops not to leave bags, laptops and even phones on the table whilst they go to the counter. I sometimes get a very negative reaction.

Cheers BB

Paddington is a hotspot. I had my wallet lifted there in a cafe while eating.
Stations and their environs are a Mecca for the homeless and addicted. Oxford Street has teams of Eastern European pickpockets and professional beggars. Also beware of youths on scooters whilst using your phones.

Cheers BB

Near KingsX take a look at the Pullman, The Standard is excellent and funky (sometimes they have offers).

It looks great, very swish and stylish, but there's not a single comfortable seat in the whole place.

5309_ro_00_p_2048x1536.jpg

Stayed there a few years back, and clearly little has changed. Double room, if a couple wants to sit down in the room, there's a table seat at the left, and the corner with the cushions. Not comfy. At all. It's the same all the way through the hotel - the public areas, the restaurant, the bar - not a single comfortable seat in the whole place.

Before it was a Pullman, it was a standard Novotel, and the rooms had armchairs and sofas. Much more comfy.

Not recommended. At all.

Maybe Canary Wharf? someone told me places there can be relatively cheaper at the weekends - might be worth a look, has decent links into London.

each to their own - we found it exceptionally comfortable, and we had 2 nice chairs and a table for our room service breakfast.

That's great, but I lifted the pic straight from their website, and the only way for two to sit for breakfast, or to watch the TV, is for one to perch on the bench seat, the other to take the table seat.

Also beware of youths on scooters whilst using your phones.

Cheers BB
Walked down towards the end of Tottenham Court Road last weekend and saw a number of tents bunched together opposite Heals (which is quite the contrast).

Later that day I saw a couple of youths tearing down Shaftesbury Avenue on their electric scooters. Looking very much like they had snatched a phone…

Walked down towards the end of Tottenham Court Road last weekend and saw a number of tents bunched together opposite Heals (which is quite the contrast).
Until recently there was a group of tents round the back of UCLH at the top of the road. Least year the police and Camden council confiscated the tents and all the possessions of the people living in them and destroyed them. The police were later found to have acted unlawfully and an apology issued to one man who threatened legal action. This was around the same time Suella Braverman stated rough sleeping was a lifestyle choice.

Change of plan, we are going to Paris.
Hotel was bit cheaper than London, 4 nights b&b just over €1000 for 2+2, the thing that turned me off from London was the price of the thing's we wanted to do,
London zoo £105.40
Hms belfast £84
London tower £104.40
London eye & madam tussauds £191.90.
Total £485.70 = €573

I will go back to London some day.

Stations and their environs are a Mecca for the homeless and addicted. Oxford Street has teams of Eastern European pickpockets and professional beggars. Also beware of youths on scooters whilst using your phones.

Cheers BB
e bikes on the pavements in Belsize Park / Hampstead are quite a problem now. You either get run over or phone stolen. Personally
im not keen on either of the two options !

Hotel was bit cheaper than London, 4 nights b&b just over €1000 for 2+2, the thing that turned me off from London was the price of the thing's we wanted to do,
London zoo £105.40
Hms belfast £84
London tower £104.40
Total £485.70 = €573

I think you've managed to pick the very most expensive things to do in London, which is fair enough of course if that's what you want, but there are cheaper and even many free things to do as well if that ever swings it for you.

All of that said, I think you've made the right choice and would do exactly the same in choosing Paris. It's some years since I went and it was great then. I hear it's getting better in all sorts ot interesting ways ( mainly greener).

London zoo £105.40
Hms belfast £84
London tower £104.40
Total £485.70 = €573

We went to London Zoo about 10 years ago, I thought it was very poor value and too small for many of the animals (not going into ethics). I thought the Tower Of London was boring and way overpriced. The Eye is okay but Shard is a better view, Google Earth does the same thing though. It’s about 50 years since I went on HMS Belfast but I’m told I loved it. I just don’t understand Madame Tussauds.

I’m a big fan of The Imperial War Museum (I can’t remember the new name) and the Natural History Museum, both of which are free I think. Science Museum is pretty good too, again free.

Personally I’d look for out of season offers for London and book rail tickets well in advance.

Enjoy Paris, I bet you’ll have a great time.

Cheers BB

If you think London has a problem with rough sleepers, scooter crime, people on the streets desperately in need of mental and physical care, general litter and filth, just go to Paris.

advertisement

Back