advertisement

Where to buy voice coils in uk?

Mrsimo

Hi guys, does anyone know where I can buy voice coils in the uk? I’m looking for an 8 ohm 20mm diameter to be exact. thanks

You can't. They are wound onto the former that is part of the cone assembly anyway.
There is no-one in the UK offering the rewinding of voice-coils.

I have tried to do this and it was a failure.
The particular coil from a mid range unit was difficult to remove requiring frightening solvents and the former thin and flexible. Even with a dolly to mount the former on, there were difficulties in getting the tension and winding tidy enough despite mounting the dolly in a lathe at very low speed.
I tried hard but gave up and scrapped the speakers. And I still miss them six or seven years on.
Traumatised……

Hi guys, does anyone know where I can buy voice coils in the uk? I’m looking for an 8 ohm 20mm diameter to be exact. thanks
I think what you are after is a recone kit. Some driver manufacturers offer them as after market parts, others don't support field repairs.

For example, B&C have a big list of recone kits for their pro drivers - see https://www.bcspeakers.com/en/resources/service-kits#kit-recone-47

But many companies want to sell you a new driver, or have a recones done at their approved agent.

Can you wind a voice coil by hand onto a 20 mm mandrel with release agent. glue it together then transfer to original former and glue again? You are whipping a fishing rod so to speak. Just enquiring.

What csa wire, flat or round, how long, how many layers, former thickness,material, Inside and outside diameter? Just for starters. Exactly. The OP drops questions then disappears.

You forgot hexagonal section wire!
It has to be just right dimensionally as the coil is just the right size to be close to the magnet and not bind.

Hey! Thanks for the responses. Sorry but I only got an alert for the last reply today.
I posted another question the other week but it got no responses, was checking daily. Thought I’d leave this one till I got an alert.

I measured the coil to be 20mm but after researching the speaker I think it’s actually a 19mm size. it’s a pair of royd woofers from a “7L” model.
I’ve ordered some from China to try. 19.1mm so pretty close. I did find some in Italy that are the exact 19mm but the postage was expensive and the minimum spend on the site was £30. It’s not something that I’ve done before but the drivers condition were a bit bad so…
One had a woofer that was stuck sucked in, if that makes sense. I’ve read this can happen when the coils are fried.
@Vinny the only thing attaching the coil to the former part of the cone was silicone.

Sorry if I sound a bit rookie with it but just thought I’d try it while waiting for a set of drivers for this model to pop up for sale.

Notification emails seem to be unpredictable and slow, in my experience................................

One had a woofer that was stuck sucked in, if that makes sense. I’ve read this can happen when the coils are fried.
@Vinny the only thing attaching the coil to the former part of the cone was silicone.

A fried coil should do nothing except stop the driver working. A cone assembly getting stuck/displaced would most likely be due to rubbish/debris getting stuck in the coil/pole-piece gap.

I was unaware that I mentioned anything about how anything was assembled/secured. That said, silicone seems an odd choice as it is far from rigid.

Good luck with a new random voice coil - the odds that it might produce something like original performance must be close to zero.

Unfortunately this is how I got the speakers so don’t know how they are suppose to sound (I’ve had other royds before so familiar with the sound they produce)

“They are wound onto the former that is part of the cone assembly”
Apart from the two coil ends attached to the cone it was only silicone holding the voice coil unit in place.
I think that the silicone might be original. I cut the dust caps off and the cone under it is paper. The cone area outside of the dust cap has some treatment on it like a lot of royd drivers have. I read a lot about royd speakers and it does seem joe Akroyd used to make/mod his drivers and wasn’t too fussed about the looks etc. as long as they produced a great sound…which they do sound awesome.

A fried coil should do nothing except stop the driver working. A cone assembly getting stuck/displaced would most likely be due to rubbish/debris getting stuck in the coil/pole-piece gap.

When a voice coil overheats or burns out, it's not uncommon for it to become physically distorted, leading to rubbing, or even to it getting completely stuck in the gap.

Dont forget that some Royd drivers can stick because the coating migrates into the VC gap. There are some threads on here about this.

I don’t think that happened with these drivers as one was free moving, just showed nothing putting a signal through it and showing nothing on a meter.
The other stuck backward, looked like someone had added the dust cap…put a heavy glass on it to keep the cap ridges pressed down while it dried and some glue ran down and fixed the cone in that position.

advertisement

Back