advertisement

Where should I get valves?

Nic Robinson

My fab Decca Stereogram needs several new valves. Particularly the ones that need replacing are Mullard ECL82 and Mullard EZ80.

Do I need to get the same make or are valves generic to some extent? I don't want to spend much money if possible - I only got the thing for fun and hifi considerations are low priorities to say the least!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Nic.

Valves are standardized; any valve with the designation as the ones you have (ECL82, EZ80) should fit. Russian and Chinese production will be cheapest. Mullards are amongst the most expensive.

One of several reliable sources in the UK is the Chelmer Valve Company.

Nic
I just bought a set of 4 ECL82 (6bm8) off Fleabay, Brand new Svetlana`s (Russian i think ) cost me £20 delivered for the 4.

andy831 said:
Nic
I just bought a set of 4 ECL82 (6bm8) off Fleabay, Brand new Svetlana`s (Russian i think ) cost me £20 delivered for the 4.

That was after the prices went up,not so long ago Svetlana (Flying 'C') ECL82's could be bought for less than £20 for 10 including shipping,I guess our Russian cousins realised they had a worth.

http://www.ominous-valve.com/russtube.html

I can vouch for Watford Valves. Bought a couple of pairs of nice Mullards fromt there and the service was friendly. Delivery was speedy.

advertisement

Back