advertisement

Where do you sell your hifi when upgrading?

HabUK

pfm Member
This has been on my mind for a while as I'm looking at selling my B&W CM8s in the nearish future when I come to change them.

Obviously Ebay are going to want their cut which could be pretty significant if I can get what I want for them.

Then there is the fact I cant post them as they didn't come with the original boxes.

I could trade them in for the ease of it but will probably get a fraction of what I want.

How do you guys go about it?

Last edited:
I try and sell here first and if no luck then on eBay. Have been successful both ways but I prefer the greater level of communication (so each party knows what's being offered) on PFM.

I've had no issues with any buyer, including overseas, with either method.

CHE

I've sold a couple of items here and Lejonklou forum but I often have to resort to ebay and incur their high fees.

Audiowoof has also generated interest - mostly from folks in mainland Europe. The problem is that I can't find a way to remove adds afterwards so I get forever contacted about them. There's never any response from the site's admin email address.

My last sale was actually on a watch forum! I had advertised my Linn Ninkas on here for a couple of weeks with no interest, but they sold in 1 day on the watch forum.

I like to offer stuff here first but often resort to eBay due to a wider audience and higher offers. I usually wait till I get offered a seller promotion on eBay which caps the selling fees at between £1 and £3, which just leaves you with the PayPal fees of around 4% of the final sale price + postage.

When someone has a post count of 22 and can't start a thread in the classifieds a clever way to sell something is to ask a question detailing the item and how much you want for it in the audio section.

Or am I being cynical.

When someone has a post count of 22 and can't start a thread in the classifieds a clever way to sell something is to ask a question detailing the item and how much you want for it in the audio section.

Or am I being cynical.

Not been the first time and it will not be the last time that has happened.

Getting 50 posts is not that difficult given the width of topics discussed on this forum.

Am sure they will have had a PM or two by now so it might have served it's purpose.

Forum selling is only useful these days if you are giving the things away for a ridiculously low price.

eBay sadly is the best bet, but you take your chances with scammers. You can also wait for their £1 selling fee promotions that come fortnightly so you don't give them too much of a cut.

Gumtree is useless, and more often you spend more time replying to 'is this still available' emails than you do actually organising a deal.

Dealers like 2ndhandhifi will take stuff off you at a low ball price.

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/ can be good if its something unusual or cheap, or both.

Or am I being cynical.

OP is not as daft as he makes out then ! Obs.

I’ve always sold on pfm since becoming a member. Before that it was Hifi for Sale but the ads look dreadful, my mobile got spammed and I would never buy using it. I buy here but have probably bought most on eBay and spent a lot on big items there.
I scan hifishark- pfm ads reach a wide audience through it. I’ve had enquiries and sold to folk in Europe who would have seen the pfm ad on hifishark.

advertisement

Back