advertisement

Where did your journey start?

I had a PL112D too, and had a Grado F1+ cart on it eventually. A lovely cartridge, that and seemed well matched with the arm.
Well it wasn't all sweetness and light, my Pioneer had dodgy pitch stability, only alleviated when it was swapped for an Lp12 in 1982.

:(

Well it wasn't all sweetness and light, my Pioneer had dodgy pitch stability, only alleviated when it was swapped for an Lp12 in 1982.

:(
I don't recall my Pioneer having pitch problems. I moved to a Thorens TD160S, then an LP12, a Pink Triangle, then a Gyrodec. Wish I hadn't been talked into moving from the LP12/Mission 774/Lentek Entre MC to the PT/Helius Orion/Goldring Eroica HO. "A more neutral TT, less colouration, I was told". Possibly true, but I later realised that speed stability wasn't as good on the PT, which ruins the illusion of real performers.

A Waltham W104 compact cassette player/recorder I was given by a school friend back in around 1978. It had its day already but to me it was amazing at the time!

When he wasn't around I would 'borrow' my older brothers Elton John and Bowie cassette selection (GBYBR, Diamond Dogs, Hunky Dory etc) to play (probably ruin!) on that Waltham.

I left school in 94 and started building a HiFi as soon as I started my Mechanical Engineering apprenticeship. It was sourced from either Richer Sounds or local classified Ads.
Pretty sure it consisted of a Marantz PM66se amplifier. A Marantz CD42, Aiwa tape-deck and a pair of Gale mini monitors. Held together with Cambridge Atlantic interconnects and whatever that cheap clear jacket OFC speaker cable Richer sounds sold was?
I then followed what for many would be the standard upgrade route with Arcam and Cyrus and B&W DM Speakers.
Then in the late 90s I discovered eBay and that is when things got a lot more interesting for me.
This was what I considered my first proper HiFi. I had a music center in the 80s and then midi systems as a teenager. My Uncle was a binman and his shed was a treasure trove of systems that got thrown out when the CD boom started and he let me take anything I wanted.

Mum and dads radiogram, something like this, I loved it, definitely where my music enjoyment started.

IMG-1047.jpg
My FIL had something like this which later became a whisky cabinet!!

My first bit of audio kit was this Aiwa midi system. I used to get great discounts on Aiwa because my uncle worked there (I also had some great Aiwa tape decks through the years)

IMG-1183.webp

According to my uncle, the system was let down by its speakers so I bought a pair of JBL TLX3 GIs on his recommendation (got a discount on these):

IMG-1186.jpg

IIRC, I was 14 years old and already suffering from an early case of upgraditis. The JBLs were undeniably a massive improvement on the bundled AIWA speakers.

Somewhere around 1956 I was given something very similar to the photo along with a lot of 78's ranging from Stan Stan Pick Up Thee Musket & several other Stanley Holloway monologues to Tchaikovsky piano concerto No1 & Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue Paul Whiteman Orchestra. I was able to play 33.3 rpm LP's a few years when I was 12 on an early Garrard multiplayer I was given at my Saturday job, that I connected to a leak valve stereogram guts & an a pair of 15 or 16 ohm Goodmans Axiom speakers in a case's I made with tweeter's both from PA speakers with a transformer that I cobbled together

My first bought system was Beogram 1000, Harmon Kardon 25 wpc power amp & a pair of EMI speakers first record I DG Beethoven 6th Karajan. the second was that Rapsody in Blue transcribed on to a 33.3 rpm LP.

My real HiFi journey started when I was bought my Hydraulic Reference turntable that I still use though now much modified including a DC not AC motor.

240f7b2554ec0849b9ba68bc37b0fc30.jpg

281995%2F8537595%2Fmceclip0.jpg

Reactions: gez
Besides my own first bit of kit stated earlier in thread (Waltham), I guess I was probably also influenced by my fathers Bush Arena HIFI (an amazing Receiver with numerous channels and covered in buttons - endless fun, plus speakers and Turntable). Also recall a neighbours Record deck, not sure of exact model but I do recall being fascinated by a hanging weight up at the pivot end of the tonearm, think it may have a been a Trio of some sort?

advertisement

Back